NINETEEN

19.

"Hafsat? Where are the papers I kept on the dining table?" Khalil was standing by the kitchen door.
Hafsat didn't look up from the plate she was washing.

First he called her Hafsat not the usual babe.

And then he's asking about the stuff he kept in the wrong place.

"I put them where they belong," she murmurs barely audible.

"Hafsat we're not doing this again please. I told you to leave my things where I keep them..?"

Hafsat placed the last plate in the rack, dried her hands then asked him to follow her.

"And I told you to always keep stuff like these on the shelf." She calmly replied then picked the papers and put it in his hands.

"I would put them wherever I want. "

"Don't complain to me when they get stained then," she retorted and went back to the kitchen. Khalil followed her.

"I'll be going," he stated, knowing fully well she was making breakfast for him.

Hafsat looked from the egg frying on low heat back to him.
"You haven't eaten. "

"Is it ready?" He asked.
Hafsat laughed at his question, looked at the plantain that was ready then back at him. She concluded his mission for today was to annoy her.

Khalil smiled when she didn't answer. He dropped the papers on the counter to taste the plantain before she served it in a plate.

Hafsat smacked her forehead at the action. She took the papers to the living room then went back to the kitchen.

Khalil was turning everything in a plate, her share of the plantain too. She understood what he meant by that. They eat from thesame plate sometimes.
She transferred the egg to the plate and they went to the parlor.

Hafsat looked at the clock before settling beside him on the carpet. She still had an hour left before her 9AM class.

"I'm representing the company to sign a huge contract today," he filled her in.

"Huge contract and look how you're mishandling the papers."
He gave her a disappointed look.
"Allah ya bada sa'a." She added and playfully tugged at his beard with her other hand. Khalil acts like a baby sometimes.

"Ko ke fa?Ameen."

"Bazaka sha tea ba?" She asked her tea obsessed husband. He took tea at least twice a day. It was slowly rubbing off on her.

"Na sha dazu after I came back from subh prayer."

Hafsat nodded.

She washed the plate then quickly got dressed so he can drop her off at school.

"I won't be able to pick you up. Take your car today. " She watched him work on his tie in front of the living room mirror.

Hafsat walked around and fixed the collar of his suit. She gave him her puppy eyes,"There's keke."

"Hafsat...." he left the warning hanging.

Hafsat picked up his papers that he forgot, locked the front door and joined him in the car.

"You can go to Mama's when you're done. I'll be late." Khalil said parking the car.

"Yaay thank youu."
She unbuckled her seatbelt and got off.

"Bye goodluck, " Khalil called after her. He waited until she entered the school before he drove off.

~||~

It's a wrap💀