THIRTEEN

13.

Without any reply from Hafsat since my confession, my days have been filled with fluctuating moods.
I don't wanna call her or visit with fear of being pushy. But boy, I miss her so much.

There was a knock on my door. I got out of my duvet to answer it.

It was my mom. "Ina kwana, Mama," I said, opening the door wider for her to come in.

"Lafy kalau, Hamza. It's 1pm by the way," she laughs a little. She was holding a big tray which she kept on the center table.

She points to the tray, "Here, help me deliver this to Muneera before it gets cold."

I nod in response. Finally, something to keep me busy.

"How's work?" Mama enquired as she walks out.

"Alhamdulillah, just a few more weeks."
Replying with long answers? I don't know how I'm doing it.

"Masha Allah. May Allah assist." She shuts the door.

I took a quick shower and slip on my Kaftan.
I took the tray with me and hopped into my car after locking the house.

I can actually count the number of times I went to my sister's house on one hand. She has been married for like a year and some months.

I knocked on Muneera's front door and waited. It was pulled open with no one in sight.

A dark skinned beauty appeared from behind the door with Mimi clutched to her side. Mimi, my niece.  She's looking so big. How old was she again? She should be more than a year.

"Hey, welcome. She wanted to open the door herself. " She gestured to Mimi. Meanwhile I was lost in her eyes.

Mimi already dropped to the floor and was hugging my legs. "Hamma..." she called out in a tiny voice. 

I laughed at the name she called me. I gestured for the girl to help me with the tray while I picked Mimi up.

"Hello there. Noi?" I brushed our nose and she giggled at that.

"Jam!"

"She hears me calling my brother Hamma," the girl explains.

"Your brother?" I didn't get who she's referring to.

"Yes. Adda Munni's husband. I'm his sister." She points to herself with a small smile. 

"Ohh. What's your name?"

"Laila. Please, come in."
I did as told. I watch her push the door close with her food and I shook my head in disbelief.
She shrugged while holding up the tray to remind me her hands were filled.

"Nice," I said referring to her name.

Laila said Muneera went to pick up the cake. She was talking about the cake like I knew about it.

"Um.. it's her birthday today; Adda Munni." She figured I was lost.

"Ohh I didn't know..." I looked down at Mimi who can't seem to get enough of my beard.

Laila was eighteen. She loves to cook and she loves being around kids; that's why she loves coming here but I wasn't regular here so I wouldn't know.

I'm a good conversationalist you see. I dish out my charms at a balanced proportion and they always fall for it. By they, I mean the girls.

I ended up staying for the little party. It was just Laila, Mimi, Muneera and her husband, Usman and I.

I found myself parked in front of Hafsat's house. I dialled her number and waited.

"Assalamu alaykum, baby. " I had a grin on my face when I said that.

"Hamzaaa!" Oh that warning voice, I love it.
"Waalaykumus Salam. Ya kake?"

"Where are you?" I asked instead.

"At home. "

"Perfect. Dan fito mana "

"Uhum."

Well that was smooth. She comes out clad in a blue jilbab. She slipped into the seat beside me, a smile on her face.

"You're happy to see me. Your face says it all," I teased, almost getting a hold of her hand but didn't let me. She never does.

"Well, I can't hide it, can I?"

"I've missed you baby. What are we?" She should know what I'm referring to.

"Um?" She questioned covering her face with both hands.

"Is that a yes?" I sat up straight in anticipation. She keeps smiling and says nothing.

I let her be and asked about her day instead.

~||~

It's a yes habibi.

I just got out of shower and was met with this message. From Hafsat.
With a smile, I typed a reply.

I love you, baby na.

I got the girl. It was quite easy.
But if I should compare her to the other girls, she gave me quite the headache.

I ended my night after I chatted with my inlaw, Laila.
After getting to know her, I've concluded that she was still a little girl. Too naive to be preyed upon. She was beautiful though; that I can't deny.

It skipped my mind to close the curtains the night before; the early morning sun shone right into my face. I had to wake up.

It was a Monday, I need to show up for work and also finish up my project. The joy of knowing I'd soon be a degree holder...

Before it skips my mind, I sent Hafsat a good morning message then proceeded to get ready for the day.

Good morning beautiful. No one's ever ready for Mondays but I know my girl. She'd look absolutely gorgeous and filled with energy.

~||~

Once a player, always a player 😋

Ever encountered a player? How did you find him out and how did you end it?