SIX

Pardon me for switching POV's.

Hafsah's hands weave through the hair of an older woman probably in her fifties. She listened absentmindedly as another older woman who was having her hair stretched, talked about how stubborn her kids were.
It never ceases to amaze her how people comfortably share information in the salon.

She washed off the conditioner then gathered the hair from the scalp and gently squeezed the water.

She guided the woman to a sit, went back to clean up the shampoo station then connected the hand dryer.

She oiled the hair, dividing it in sections so it would reach every part of it.
She carefully dried it, remembering how she was taught.
Hafsah admired her work. It came out nicely but her heart wasn't jumping up in delight. This job wasn't giving her the vibe.
She missed school.
She missed the days she would groan and grumble about how she wasn't understanding a topic.
She missed that nice feeling of passing exams in flying colors.
Oh, how she missed using her brain to do something out of the ordinary.

"Thank you!" The voice of the woman brought her back into reality. Her smile was blinding as she handed Hafsah the money for her service.

Her life must be going well

Hafsah thought to herself. She returned the smile nonetheless.

8PM, the clock said.
She put the cash in its drawer, signed out, picked her bag from the room then said goodnight to everyone.

On her way home, the thought of Abbas tortured her. Unless she was busy in the salon, her mornings and nights were filled with feeling of loneliness. He was the only one she had.

She brought out her handbag and dialled his number without thinking twice. He picked up on the second ring, she couldn't hold in her smile.

"Hello? Hafsah?"
Her heart sank at the way he addressed her. What happened to baby and 'my love'?

Hafsah closed her eyes to keep the tears from falling.
"Baby."

"Give me five minutes, I'll call you back."

A part of her was telling her he wouldn't call back but she decided to trust him and cut the call.

Hafsah slowed her steps. She wanted them to talk before she got home.

Three minutes later, her phone vibrated and she picked up.

"Hafsah, my love."
She could hear the closing of the car door. He just got off work, she noted.

"Baby, nayi missing dinka," she confessed.
She wasn't going to apologize for last time because she did nothing wrong. Yes, she wore what he liked whenever they met in the past but that doesn't mean she was a people pleaser.

Abbas knew that too. He also knew his ego won't let him apologize for his action so he left the matter buried.

"Wallahi nima. My life has been quiet without you."

Lonely, you mean. Just say it, Abbas.

They kept talking and he told her how annoying his boss was recently.

Hamza and his friends were standing outside, talking in loud voices.
He almost walked up to her but noticed she was on a call.
He waved at her instead, his signature smirk intact.

Hafsah wanted to roll her eyes at the action but remembered he was Ameera's brother.
She gave a small wave and kept walking.
That was awkward, she cringed.

~|~

"Ameera."
Ameera turned around in surprise. Hamza hasn't called her by her name in forever.

"Na'am, Hamza?"

"Where to?"

"My friend's house." She added when he didn't move, "Hafsah, the one that came last week."

Hamza smiled at the new information. Hafsah was her name. It started with a H too; just like his.

"Come, I'll take you."

"The house is not far. I can..."

Ohh I know that. He wanted to say.

"I'm going out too. I can drop you."

Hamza parked in front of the gate and observed the house. They were living well.

He decided to visit one of his girlfriends so it wouldn't look like he lied about going out.

Hamza doesn't care if she's busy or out, she must meet him today.