SIXTEEN

16.

"Hafsat!" Umma called out from the parlor. Hafsat dropped the Hadith book in her hand and rushed to answer.

"Na'am Mama."

"Kawa Mahmud is outside. Unlock the gate for him." That's her mother's brother. She can't remember the last time he set foot in their house. Her other uncles too. They were quite young but contributed to their upkeep.
Her only uncle from her father's side tho, she would rather not talk about it. He tries but she wished he would do better.

Hafsat slipped into her hijab and did as told. She served him water when he was seated, exchanged pleasantries and asked about her cousins. She made a mental note to reach out to them sometime soon. They lived in their hometown;reason why they rarely saw.

Hafsat made to leave but he asked her to sit back. After a bit of small talk with Mama, he talked about the scholarship.

"Adda here,"referring to Mama,"told me about it. I've made enquiries about the school and I've received nothing short of great reviews. In sha Allah, this would be a stepping stone for you bingel am. We are proud of you."

"Thank you Kawu."

"I talked with the principal and he filled me in and sent me a document detailing the two year program. They've offered to let you all perform Umrah before it starts."

Hafsat took a minute registering what he said. The language he was speaking felt foreign. Did he say Umrah or was she hearing things?

"Yes Hafsat. They're taking you to Saudi Arabia," Mama clarified, placing her hand on Hafsat's arm.

Hafsat's eyes pooled with tears and she went into sujood ash shukr. Who could've thought?

"You have until next week to get ready."

Next week? She was gonna spend two years away from home? Away from Mama?

She was worried about one thing though, "Mama are you going to stay here alone? You shouldn't."

"She won't Hafsat. I'll be taking her with me to Gombe. "

Hafsat sighed in relief while Mama, in defeat.

"Mahmud..." Mama began.

"No Adda, I won't allow you to do what you want again. Over the years I've been pleading with you to come back home where we'd take care of you better. Now the opportunity has come and I would be crazy to listen to you again."
"Please start packing too,"he said with a victory smile. Hafsat was quite surprised at the revelation but said nothing.

~||~

Hafsat remembered the day Kawu came with the good news. That night, she called Hamza.

When she told him to let his parents know about them, Hafsat remembered the hesitation in his voice.

How could she forget the single excuse he kept repeating;he wasn't ready financially.

Hafsat allowed herself to see the truth. She didn't try to force herself to have positive thoughts.
All she wanted was assurance. He could've simply given her that by involving his parents.
She would know that she had him. God forbid that she comes back to find him married. Like Abbas.

Yes she agrees that on her part, she neglected Abbas too. But he started it, he stopped making time for her. And as they say, when you want to get rid of something, neglect it. Oh she was the perfect proof of how true it is.

That same night, while she was praying
Isha which was after her call with Hamza, she begged Allah in her sujood. She begged him to give her strength to execute what she had finalized in her head.

And He did.

Hafsat typed out three heavy words.

We are over.

For a whole month, she grieved. For Hamza, for Abbas. For a love that couldn't be.

In her two year program, she met two beautiful souls. They observed her and pushed her to go back to Allah.
Hafsat cried as she narrated to them what happened. She cried so hard, letting out the pain of two failed relationships. She cried in pity for herself, she hated how she felt she wasn't enough.

Take your heart back to its Creator, my love. Only Allah can fix you.

Hafsat buried herself in worship. She recited Quran more, feeling lighter everytime. She prayed Tahajjud as frequently as she could, the peace in her heart was something she could only find with Allah.

A nudge brought Hafsat out of her thoughts. She looked to her right, Aida smiled at her mouthing "it's your turn."
She took a slow breath as she moved to the stage. With her best smile, she walked through the crowds, to the stage and received her certificate and award.

After the closing prayers, Aida and Iman, her two good friends suggested they snapped pictures.

They found a nice background and posed away as the soft breeze danced around them.

She was happy.

Even happier that she was going home.

~||~

They touched down around 10AM. A bus from the Islamiyya picked them up and dropped them at the school.
The principal was waiting for them in the compound.  He had a proud smile playing on his lips.

He asked about their trip then handed each of them an envelope. It was a written document. For the second time, this Islamiyya surprised her.

"An assured admittance into whichever federal university of your choice and course of study. This is to thank you all for exceeding our expectations and raising the standards of our school out there."

Hafsat silently prayed her uncle could afford her school fees. She was 20, it's high time she started school.

Kawu Mahmud picked her up minutes later. He drove past her old home and she smiled nostalgically at what was.
He drove past Hamza's house and she caught a glimpse of him in his car, a lady seating beside him on the passenger's seat.

She silently thanked Allah for the scholarship that helped her escaped Hamza's claws. He would've damaged her beyond repair.

Hafsat remembered her friend Ameera. She made a mental note to call her once she's settled and has a phone. She missed her.

"Here, I have Khalil's number saved. Your ticket is..." Her uncle swiped and tapped the brand new Samsung," here. Khalil will pick you up when you land. "

"Thank you Kawu. Till you come back. "

He prayed for her safety and they part ways.

She observed the pretty Samsung as she dragged her medium sized box with her.

The phone reminded her of Hamza. She wondered what Mama did with the one he gave her. She left it on her bed after removing her sim card.

~||~

Nope not the end🌚

More like the beginning of an end...what am I even saying😂

Sooo..just a little appreciation for whoever that is following and even better,has left a vote or comment. Trust me it goes a long way. Kinda assures me that what I put up here is worth reading 😘