Chapter 44: The Burning Home

The shelter home was covered with the flammable liquid and as soon as the fire from the lighter touched the ground, the fire roared in the atmosphere, and everything started burning. The fire was getting caught up soon turning everything on its way into ashes. Many cars which were speeding in the way reached their soon just to witness the burning building. Cries were heard aloud from inside the building. But since the building was located in the outskirts with the barren grounds covering the borders, there was no neighborhood available for help in the area. Keshav already called up the fire brigade in emergency and the fire brigade was already on its way. As soon as Ayan stepped out of his car and witnessed the burning premises, he ran towards the building ignoring his shouting men. His men also followed him for assistance. The main door had already caught fire and a wood log was burning blocking the way to the door. Ayan grabbed a thin wooden log from outside the burning area and hit the main door firmly with the stick. It took him a lot of efforts but since the fire already weakened the door, the door break opened in a few attempts. Without caring about himself, he jumped over the wood log inside the building to find all the victims gathered in the middle of the hall shouting for help and choking up on the smoke caused by the fire. He signaled his men outside to stay over there and help him rescue all the children first. Since all the children were below 10 years and thus, quite young and light, Ayan lifted them one by one and tossed them over the burning wooden log to his men who caught the kids one by one safely. It wasn't exactly a very safe way for rescuing, but it was their only way as the building was soon going to collapse due to the effects of fire and the fire brigade was still not in sight. As he was rescuing the kids, the fire brigade arrived and started helping in the rescue operations. They had proper equipment for the safe rescue and thus the rescue operation became safer and easier and one by one, everyone was being rescued. Soon only Ayan and Sister Samantha were left, and Sister Samantha was coughing badly on the smoke whereas Ayan was also not fine by himself. When he saw no one was left in the hall and the rescuers have arrived to take them away, he shouted at them.

Ayan: No, you guys take the Sister away; I have to go find Myra. She is still in here somewhere.

Rescuer: Sir, this building is about to collapse. We should leave now otherwise you'll get hurt. And you already have caught severe burns. It is not safe anymore to stay here.

Ayan: But everyone hasn't been rescued. You care about your life so much so you can leave first. I'll not leave before finding her.

Rescuer: Sir, even if someone is in there, I don't think that person will still be alive. The building is already completely immersed in fire and smoke. Please come with me and leave

Ayan: cough....cough... How dare you say that? Coughhh... I told you to leave and let me do my work

Sister Samantha caught the conversation while coughing and interfered in between.

Samantha: cough....cough.... child, Myra is not here. They have already taken her. Please come outside. You still have to save her.. cough ...cough....

Saying this, she fainted, and Ayan helped the rescuers to carry her outside. When they reach outside, the fire safety team had already rescued everyone and the medical aid had arrived helping everyone with their burns. Ayan was in bad shape as well. His palms had severe burns and he had burn wounds everywhere. The medical team rushed towards
Ayan and sister Samantha to aid them but Ayan stopped them for treating him and moved towards the crowd of rescued victims.

Ayan: cough...cough.. Where is .. cough... Myra?

Sister: We don't know sir, she wasn't with us. And she talked to sister Samantha bout something. We saw her last when she helped all of us to escape the shelter home. Moreover, there was a little girl Ivy with her. She is also not with us. What has happed to them? Please save them sir, Ivy is just a kid and Sister Myra, risked her life to save us all. They may still inside the building.