Chapter 10

-Chapter 10-

"But, Count Rigelhoff is no ordinary cunning man. I wonder if he might have started the rumors on purpose that he's siding with Archduke Langston."

"What do you mean?" Lelia inquired.

"That he started the rumor to get Duke Ludwig on his toes, and then offered him a marriage alliance to convince him of his innocence. Isn't it amazing how easy it is to become a duke's in-law?"

"What a despicable thing to do!" She shouted.

Damian chuckles and sipped his tea again.

However, Lelia's scowl didn't lift. "But what good news is that, anyways? It doesn't change the fact that Count Rigelhoff is now Duke Ludwig's in-law."

"Oh, my naive Lelia. Do you think that just anyone can become a duke? Duke Ludwig is not that stupid."

"Ugh, stop talking in circles and just tell me!"

Damian smirked and leaned toward Leila. "Of course, if Count Rigelhoff is willing to stoop to the level of a hostage for his daughter, he probably won't miss the chance to become an in-law with Duke Ludwig."

"What, are you mocking me now?"

"Well, Count Rigelhoff is greedy. He's been jealous of Duke Ludwig for a long time. Eventually, he's going to make a move before the year is out, and Edith Rigelhoff is just a pawn to be used as a covering and then discarded."

To everyone in society, it was a known fact that Count Rigelhoff adores his daughter dearly. But few knew the truth.

Damian knew something else besides the rumors about Duke Ludwig's relationship with Count Rigelhoff.

He still couldn't forget the scene he accidentally witnessed while attending a party.

"Stupid bitch! You can't do anything right!"

"I-I'm sorry, I was wrong, Father!" Edith cries, clutching the side of her face.

Count Rigelhoff, who usually seemed to listen to everything his daughter said, slapped her fiercely on the cheek. And Edith, who usually stood tall and proud in front of her father, hunched her shoulders and begged for forgiveness.

At first, he thought he was mistaken, but the conversation was unmistakable.

"How many times have I told you it's not Ray Barton but Earl Everton? Make sure to approach Earl Everton! You have to get information about the cost of the Anchorage Bridge. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Father. I'm sorry. I won't make a mistake this time."

After watching the two of them for a while longer, Damian was convinced.

'Edith Rigelhoff's image as a wicked woman was completely made up!'

The sensual and beautiful Edith was so gorgeous that she drew all the attention wherever she went, and there were plenty of men who desired her. And Edith charmed them, digging up the information her father needed.

"No way! Count Rigelhoff would die for his daughter, Edith!" Lelia couldn't believe her brother's words.

"Everyone thinks so, but this is solid information. So don't go running your mouth. This is top secret, okay?"

"Yep. Okay!"

Damian smirked as he watched his sister, who had been so impatient and sassy earlier, nod meekly.

Then he added sweetly. "Be patient, Lelia. Killian Ludwig and Edith Rigelhoff's marriage is only valid until this year. And next year when the iron ore distribution rights will be in our family, I will give you a seat at Killian Ludwig's side."