Part 4 Chapter 4: Start of Sabzeruz

The trio stayed with Dehya and Dunyarzad in the tavern for a meal and met a dancer named Nilou that helped explain a festival Sumeru City was going to celebrate. It was called the Sabzeruz Festival and it celebrated Lesser Lord Kusanali's birthday. They heard of suspicious activity going on that could endanger the festival, so the trio went to investigate a situation caused by an Eremite group called Ayn Al-Ahmer in Port Ormos. They found their way to Djafar Tavern, where the group was currently located. As Sying tried to get information from the Eremites, someone interrupted him. The man had gray hair and looked like he was from the Akademiya.

"I already warned you that if you weren't willing to sit and discuss things with me, I'd take measures to make things uncomfortable for you." The man told the Eremites. He then turned his attention to the trio. "Listen to me. Whatever information he was going to give is fake. They're just trying to lure you into their territory."

"Shut it, Alhaitham! Are you trying to ruin our business?" An Eremite growled. Alhaitham and the group argued for a while before deciding to meet in a week at Pharos Lighthouse.

"So, Alhaitham, was it?" Sying called out. "Listen, we can help you out with the fight against this group, but you'll have to help Aether with something, deal?"

"Deal." The man agreed, shaking his hand. He shook Aether's hand as well, and went to shake Collei's but she just waved awkwardly instead. Alhaitham sent Aether to meet a merchant named Dori to acquire Canned Knowledge, which was knowledge you could put in your Akasha Terminal to instantly learn something. Once Aether came back with it, he handed it to Alhaitham. They learned that he was looking for a Divine Knowledge Capsule that allowed the user to gain the knowledge of gods. Aether noticed Sying looked pretty tense when it was brought up, but he figured that was because Sying wouldn't want normal people to gain such a dangerous thing. When the four of them reached Pharos Lighthouse, the boss of Ayn Al-Ahmer, Mizri, was waiting for them with a group of Eremites.

"Alhaitham, I knew you were crazy, but I didn't know you were crazy enough to actually show up." Mizri taunted.

"It was I who demanded that these negotiations take place. I was more worried that you might go back on your promise, but to your credit, it appears that you're sticking to your word. This is turning into quite an occasion. I also brought some backup. I assume you don't mind." Alhaitham responded. The fighting began after that. Mizri sent his Eremites into the fight, the foursome readied their weapons. Aether handled a few Eremites and infused his attacks with Dendro. Collei fought two of them and when they got too close for her bow to be effective, she switched to a longsword. The metal was a dark gray, almost black color and split into multiple pieces connected by Nova. Sying used his claymore and Alhaitham used his sword as they fought the stronger opponents. Mizri started walking toward them with the Divine Knowledge Capsule in his hand. His Akasha Terminal turned red and he started attacking his own people. Alhaitham rushed forward and managed to dodge every attack that was sent his way. The man knocked Mizri out as people from the Akademiya appeared.

"Do not impede our work, is that understood, Alhaitham?" A scholar questioned.

"Of course. I was only trying to help." He replied, taking the Capsule as Mizri was led away.

"What just happened? It's like that guy lost his mind." Sying sighed. "You okay, Collei?"

"I'm fine." She answered. After catching their breath, Alhaitham promised to share anything he learned about the Capsule and advised the trio to attend the Sabzeruz Festival. So, they returned to Sumeru City and met up with Dunyarzad and Dehya.

"We're back!" Aether called out.

"I'm glad you three came back to celebrate Lesser Lord Kusanali's birthday." She said. "The festival is tomorrow. We have been preparing for so long that I can't help but feel a little nervous."

"There's no need to be nervous. I'm sure Kusanali will feel everyone's gratitude." Sying spoke.

"Thanks Sying. I hope that everyone who comes to the festival will also have a good time. That goes for you too, Dehya." She remarked.

"Even if you put it that way, it still doesn't sound right." Dehya complained.

"Don't worry, my guardian knight." Dunyarzad smiled with a slight blush on her cheeks. Dehya looked away and nodded. After some more chatter, the trio was led to a house that Dunyarzad was renting for the Festival. It was small and only had one bedroom, but they could make it work. Aether slept on a few blankets on the floor, while Collei had the bed. Sying turned tiny so she could hug him to keep her nightmares away. When morning rolled around, the trio walked around the Festival with Dunyarzad and got to try a variety of foods. They got their fortune told and played a few games. However, a group of Eremites tried to take Dunyarzad. Sying and Dehya took care of them while Collei and Aether led Dunyarzad to a safe place. They took her to the Tavern from before and had her sit down.

"That...was...terrifying." Collei breathed.

"Are you guys okay?" Aether asked.

"I'll be fine after some rest." Dunyarzad replied.

"I'm fine." Collei answered. "So, Dunyarzad, how serious is your illness?"

"I didn't think you guys were concerned about it. I guess I shouldn't continue to keep it a secret." Dunyarzad sighed, taking the bandages off her hands to reveal black scales. Collei shivered and rubbed her arm where her own Eleazar was. "I was actually born with Eleazar. It's terminal now. I've come to terms with it a long time ago." Aether opened his mouth to speak, but Collei cut him off.

"You shouldn't have to just accept it!" She yelled. "You can fight back and live longer! You can't let the sickness win!"

"You have Eleazar too, don't you?" Dunyarzad pointed out. "I admire your way of thinking, Collei. However, it's too late for me. I might not make it to next year's Sabzeruz Festival."

"You'll make it." Aether chimed in. "That's a promise." The girl smiled at them and stood up.

"Let's meet Sying and Dehya. Nilou's dance will be starting soon." Dunyarzad announced. When they met up with the two, the dance had been canceled by Grand Sage Azar. The trio went back to the house, upset that Dunyarzad would never see the dance she had wanted to see. Deciding that they would continue looking for Kusanali the next day, the trio fell asleep, and entered a strange dream.