18 | take me back

It had been a few days since the attack of the falling Devil. Just like that, the cycle continued. He was happy that day, so happy to have his heart abused by her, his crush. But, now, today, it was all starting to wear him down. Denji hadn't heard from (y/n) at all. Today at school, she didn't spare a glance him. Not that she could, Haruka was swinging her off everywhere.

It's hard to love being a side chick when the chick you're siding for isn't giving you a time of day. It's hard to sit there and watch her parade around with some guy she only half smiled with. He felt himself grip the hair dryer intensely. His wrists were still sore from the rope Yoshdia tied him up with.

His heart was sore too. He wanted so much and couldn't have any of it.

He wanted to be Chainsaw Man and have Nayuta.

He wanted to have (Y/n) all to himself, but he couldn't.

He wanted the world to know the many deaths he spoiled for their attention- but he couldn't do that either.

He wanted to parade (Y/n) around, he wanted to be the one holding her sweet hand. He wanted to be kissing her at school, he wanted her to be here, watching the news with him.

It stung.
His life sucked, it felt worse today than ever.

"Denji! Are you even listening?" Nayuta growled, shuffling her arms together. Denji and Nayuta were sat infront of the television. They had just taken their bath, and Denji was drying up her hair.

"Huh. Yeah..." He mumbled.

"They're talking about that crazy church again!" She gasped. Haruka made him angry. He was popping up on television everywhere, advertising his Chainsaw Man Church.

"(Y/n)'s in that church..." He mumbled, sparing a glance to the television. She wasn't in the video anywhere, much to his distaste. He would have loved to see her once again. He would love.

He would love a lot of things.

But they...
They failed him.

He felt himself into himself, his soul dipping out in longing. "Church's gonna fall apart." He mumbled. "Cause I'm not gonna be Chainsaw Man anymore."

"Why!" Nayuta gasped, turning her head all the way round. Her eyebrows were furrowed in confusion, her fists propped up on her waist.

"Cause, I'd rather keep you... Besides. I think I like this little life... It's easy, it's slow... it's normal. Nothing tops this." He said. Nayuta turned back around, her lips pressing together.

"Nothing beats this life? You're sure? Not even being Chainsaw Man?" She asked.

Pain, confusion. He nodded, "Yes."

"You sure?" She asked.

His words felt so small. "I think so." He turned the dyer off, brushing through her dry hair. He braided her up for the night, his hand patting her head when he finished.

"Thanks, Denji. I'm gonna go to bed!" She hugged him tightly, and he kissed her head.

"Okay. Turn the lights off, I'll be joining ya." He mumbled. Nayuta nodded, bouncing off. The lights shut off and he was engulfed into darkness.

Mournfully, he leaned back, tucking his arms behind his head. "Life like this is straight heaven, right Pochita?" His hard rested against his starter cord, hearing the television drain on and on. He tuned the words out, his feelings shooting to nothing. His eyebrows pinched together, longing erupting from his throat.

(Y/n).
Nayuta.
Chainsaw Man.

(Y/n).
Nayuta.
Chainsaw Man.

That was his perfect world.