𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 8

She was going to be the end of me. I just knew it. I had been so distracted by her floral red ribbon tied in her hair that I almost bumped into one of the cleaner's laundry bins as we made our way into one of the Vasilios hotels.

We had decided to make the statement at one of the conference rooms there to strengthen our mission of extending the family empire. That's what this relationship was about. Portraying that Vasilios family line would continue not only in Xion, who had a baby on the way - a second daughter, but in all of us. Starting with the eldest.

But instead of focusing on that, my gaze and thoughts had averted to her. Looking all preem and proper in her red pantsuit and hair tied back with that annoying ribbon. At this point, I was tempted to pull it out of her hair and burry it in the deepest grave, never to be seen again. It was driving me crazy.

This whole thing was driving me crazy.

"A smile for the camera, Mr Vasilios," shouted one of the reporters. "Come on, sweetie. Just one smile," exclaimed Zee beside me. I smiled at the car as I leaned in to her ear, "I'm going to get you for that."
"We'll see about that," she planted a kiss on my cheek for the camera as she focused her attention on the endless flashes.

"Mr Vasilios. Miss Artino. A car is ready for you two," the voice professional thought a bit of hurt, revealing itself as Sophia led us away from the reporters.

She was not the only one, though. Just seeing her hurt was hurting me. I couldn't help myself but I knew it was hopeless. Perhaps in another life, this could have been us. Making a real statement to the world about our fairytale love.
But what we had was anything but.

And it would forever remain in the past. Only for us to hurt about. A secret. The haunting of reckless, dangerous decisions.

And regret. On my side, of course.

"Miss Artino. A moment of your time, please.", "Mr Vasilios over here -" "Miss Vincent -" the back and forth shouting between the paparazzi was interrupted by Mr. Santos. "Miss Artino and Mr Vasilios will not be taking any questions at this time. An official statement will be published soon. Good day," he replied, all smug and professional.

I had nothing against the guy, truly. He knew how to do his job, and very well at that. But every time I saw him speaking to Sophia or even touched her lightly on her arm, it was like I was seeing flames.

As Zee and I made way to the cat, I glanced back to find him guiding Sophia with his hand on her lower back. Oh, hell no. He leaned into her ear, whispering something that made her giggle softly.

They got into another black SUV behind ours as Zaina and I got into the same model vehicle. "Are you okay? You seemed rather tense?" she teased. I could see the mischievous tone behind her question. She saw what I saw. And she knew it bothered me. Even when it shouldn't.

"I'm great. I'm glad everything is going according to plan," I replied. "I'm sure you are. Tell me, is Soohia seeing anyone?" She asked, a smug grin plastered on her face.
"I wouldn't know. I don't exactly go around discussing my employees' personal lives with them."

"But she's not just your employee, is she? So come one. I know you can answer my question. Is she seeing anyone?" She taunted. "No. "
"Perfect. "
"Why do you want to know?" I inquired as I glanced her way, looking up from my ipad.

"It's not for me if that's what you're asking. I think Lucas might be interested in her, though. " she looked away as she watched the buildings we passed by.
"We have arrived, Mr Vasilios," announced the driver as we stopped outside the restaurant. Taller than most buildings, the 16-story hotel run by Vasilios Corp was modern yet momentum, one of our oldest buildings owned by Vasilios Corp.