𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 17

The Manor buzzed with activity as guests mingled, their chatter and laughter filling the grand hall. Waitstaff weaved through the crowd, balancing trays of champagne flutes and delicate hors d'oeuvres. The air was thick with the scent of expensive perfume and polished mahogany, an atmosphere of opulence and celebration.

From my vantage point near the French windows, I could hear the whispers as they spread through the room like wildfire. Conversations flowed smoothly, but the topic on everyone's lips was the same: my sudden marriage to Sophia. The news had travelled fast, and the shock was palpable.

"I always knew they had a spark," a woman in a shimmering silver gown remarked to her companion. "It was just a matter of time before they got together."

"Honestly, it makes perfect sense," a man in a tailored tuxedo added. "They've been inseparable for years. Who else could match Nico's intensity and dedication?"

I took a sip of my whiskey, hiding a smirk behind the glass. These people thought they knew everything, but the reality was far more complicated than their gossip suggested. Sophia and I had always shared a close bond, but this marriage had been a drunken mistake-a twist of fate neither of us had anticipated.

"Do you think it was a shotgun wedding?" someone else speculated. "Perhaps a baby on the way?"

I nearly choked on my drink. The rumour mill was already spinning wildly, concocting stories far removed from the truth. I scanned the room, my eyes landing on Sophia. She was talking to Zaina, her face composed but her eyes betraying her anxiety. She was handling the situation with remarkable grace, but I knew how much this charade was costing her.

As I watched her, memories of last night flickered through my mind-the impromptu ceremony, the exchanged vows, the surreal moment this morning when we realized what we'd done. Despite the chaos, there was a strange comfort in knowing that we were facing this together. Sophia had always been my rock, and now, more than ever, I needed her strength.

"Nico, there you are," a familiar voice pulled me from my thoughts. Xion approached, his expression a mix of amusement and concern. "How are you holding up?"

"About as well as can be expected," I replied, lowering my glass. "The rumours are already out of control."

"Let them talk," Xion said with a shrug. "The important thing is that you and Sophia stick to the story. The more believable you are, the quicker the gossip will die down."

"Believable," I echoed, glancing at Sophia again. She caught my eye and offered a small, reassuring smile. "Yeah, we need to be convincing."

"Speaking of which," Xion continued, lowering his voice, "Grandpa seems to have bought it for now. But you know how he is-always looking for cracks. We need to be careful."

"I know," I said, my jaw tightening. Grandpa Vasilios was a formidable man, not easily deceived. Convincing him that our marriage was genuine would be the biggest challenge of all.

"Look, Sophia is doing her part," Xion pointed out. "You need to do yours. Show the old man that you're head over heels."

I nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. Our entire plan hinged on maintaining this facade.

"Have you heard from Lowie?"
"Nothing yet. Probably busy in his workshop," Xion and I walked over to the bar. "Let me know if you can reach him. Or I can find someone who might be in contact with him," I placed my glass on the countertype.

With a deep breath, I made my way towards Sophia, weaving through the clusters of guests. As I approached, she turned to face me, her eyes searching mine for reassurance.