Chapter 33 - Final

The next morning I awoke in Vic's arms, feeling relaxed and relieved. Knowing that the dramas of life had been put to a temporary halt made me a little more at ease. It felt like I could actually breathe for once in a while, and the feeling was something I wish would never go away.

I went to wiggle out of Vic's arms, but stopped when I heard him groan and felt him hold me a little tighter than before.

"Don't go. Just stay with me for a little while longer," he muttered, voice laced with sleep. I could tell he was exhausted from what had been going on, but I couldn't let all of that hold me back. I had things to do; like feed our daughter before she got more upset with me than she already was.

"I have to go make something to eat. The baby is kicking a lot, which means she's hungry. I'll come back after I eat, or you can come make breakfast with me if you want," I told him, lifting his arm from my torso.

"Fine," Vic grumbled begrudgingly. I lifted the covers from myself, throwing my legs over the side of the bed and standing. My back cracked a little as I stretched, but it wasn't anything I wasn't used to at this point. I was getting pretty big, so the weight on my front was causing a little more trouble to my back.

"What do you want to eat?" I asked when we made our way downstairs. Vic was usually the one to cook, but I thought I would give him a break and do that just for today. My cooking probably couldn't match his at all, but I would try for him.

"Hm, I don't know. Something simple if you want to cook. Maybe eggs and bacon or something?" Vic said, his tone sounding like he was asking if I was okay with that.

"Yeah, that's fine. Quick and easy," I laughed, walking over to the fridge to grab the ingredients I would need.

Let's just say, it was not quick and easy.

I broke the egg shells into the bowl of egg whites, burnt about ten pieces of bacon, almost threw up because of the smell of the burnt bacon, nearly dropped the plate of bacon on my foot after I took it out of the microwave without any hand protection, and tripped on a loose tile on the way to bring Vic his breakfast.

"Kell, you did well," Vic told me, but I could tell he was trying to hold back laughter. I would probably laugh at me too if I were seeing what he is.

"No I didn't. Breakfast was delayed by like ten hours. Now I'm so hungry I think I might be sick, and there's nothing left over if I'm still hungry," I complain, slumping down on the barstool.

Vic rubs a hand up and down my back and kisses behind my ear.

"I promise you, my dear, there is nothing wrong with the breakfast. The wait probably made it even better than it would have been," he admitted, smiling slightly when he sees the light-pink blush on my cheeks.

"Oh, hush. This isn't that good. Just eat," I say dismissively, completely unable to accept a compliment in my moment of insecurity.

"With pleasure," Vic adds, shoving a forkful of eggs into his mouth.

--

It was later on into the day, and Vic and I were still lazing around the house. Neither of us were up for doing anything since these past few days had been so eventful.

"I'm kinda hungry," I said aloud. My stomach had started growling about an hour ago, but I honestly didn't feel like getting up and getting something to eat.

"I can go get you something if you want," Vic offered.

"No, I don't want you to do that. I can get something," I told him, refusing to let him serve me. I put a hand on his knee, stabilizing myself as I pushed myself up from the couch. This baby makes things a lot harder than they were before.