Chapter 2

Vic and I had decided that there was no reason for him to spend money on clothing for me if he had extra. He was a little against the idea at first, but I persuaded him to hold onto his money instead of spending it on me.

"I think we should talk, you know, get to know each other. You've stayed here for a night and you're wearing my clothes, so I think it'd be nice to know the basics," Vic explains, leading me to the living room.

"Yeah, I don't mind," I shrug, sitting down on the comfortable couch and tucking my legs under myself.  

"So, I guess just tell me the basics? Like, you're age, and stuff like that."

"Okay, well, my name is Kellin, obviously. I was born and raised in Virginia, but my family moved us here to Colorado recently before they left. I'm 18, and I dropped out of high school in order to support myself," I say, trying to stay somewhat brief.

"Alright. Um, I'm 23 and I've lived here all my life. I'm a college professor. Yeah, I know I'm too young, but my dad owns the college, and I did well enough in school to be able to skip a few grades. I guess that pretty much sums up my life. Speaking of you not going to school, I could probably find a loophole that could allow you to get into the college. I mean, you may have to take a few tests, but I could convince my dad to allow you to enroll," Vic explains, sparking an idea in my head.

"Why are you so concerned about my school and stuff? I've stayed with you for a night and you're already talking about getting me into college," I question curiously.

"Well- uh, I just think you should have a chance at life. I mean, if you want, you can move in and you can go to school and then move out when you feel you're ready. I just believe in allowing people their second chance, and hopefully this is yours." His words calm me down a lot and make me feel like there are actually good people out there. My parents kind of ripped that hope away from me, but Vic is helping to restore it.

"I think that would be amazing," I whisper, thinking through all of the things that my future could be.

"Great. I teach literature, by the way. It'd be cool to have you in one of my classes, and I can make that happen, if you want," Vic says.

"Yeah, I don't know exactly what I want to do, but literature has been my easiest subject, so I guess that would be good."

"I'll talk to my dad later. If you don't mind, I think my brother is coming over later, and if you want to I can bring you somewhere, or you can stay. It's your choice," Vic informs me, being the kind person he is.

"I'll stay here. May as well get to know the guy I'm going to be living with," I laugh. He nods along, agreeing with me.

"That's very true."

"Hey, bro!" A tall guy yells as he walks through the door. I'm assuming this is Vic's brother, I wonder how much older he is than Vic.

"Hey, this is Kellin," Vic says, politely introducing me to his brother. "And, Kellin, this is my little brother, Mike." I almost choked. Did he say little?

"Hi," I whisper, a little awkward seeing as Mike is new.

"Oh, Vic, is this your new boyfriend? He's cute, I see why you would go for him. You always had a thing for guys with nice but-"

"Okay, Mike, that's quite enough." Vic says, shooting his brother a threatening look.

"What, you guys aren't together?" Mike questions, seemingly confused.

"No, Kellin just lives with me because I asked him to. Stop being so nosy," I laugh at the little spat between the two brothers, but straighten up when they both look my way.