𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗹𝘃𝗲 : 𝐺𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑆𝑡𝑟𝑜𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑟

☾︎✯☽︎

It's been a while since they arrived back from Magano and Benio got wrapped up.Rokuro perched awkwardly on the chair beside Benio's bed, his gaze fixed on her peaceful, sleeping face. Exhaustion had finally claimed her after their fight at the amusement park in Magano. The battle replayed in his mind, the monstrous Kegare defeated by their combined Resonance attack. But victory tasted bitter in his mouth.

Subaru's words echoed in his head, sharp and accusing. "Weak," she had called him. And a part of him, a large part, couldn't deny it. He had been running, hiding from his own skill and talent at being an Exorcists.

Benio, with her spirit and unwavering belief, had dragged him back from the brink. She'd even reintroduced him to the basics of exorcism, skills he'd long abandoned, she didn't have to, but she did to help him out. But it wasn't enough. Not nearly enough at least on his end anyway.

Frustration clawed at him. Training. He had to train harder, push himself further. It wasn't fair to Benio.

What the hell am I doing? I keep talking about me going back to being an exorcist and I can't even get back it up when it time, I'm so lame!

To be the weaker link of the two stung. He clenched his fists, the memory of Benio's pained grunt in battle fueling his resolve. He wouldn't let her down again.

A soft groan pulled him from his thoughts. Benio stirred, her eyelids fluttering open. A tired smile tugged at her lips as she met his gaze.

"Hey," Rokuro rasped, the words thick with guilt. "You shouldn't have pushed yourself so hard."

Benio's smile widened, though it was tinged with a wince. "Someone had to," she mumbled, her voice husky. "But don't worry, I'll be fine. We did it, together, remember?"

Rokuro nodded, a fierce determination solidifying in his eyes. "Yeah, we did. And we'll keep doing it, together. But..." he hesitated, then blurted out, "I need to train harder. Way harder. I can't keep being the weak one."

Benio's eyes softened with understanding. "We both need to train," she agreed gently. "But remember, Rokuro, it's not just about raw power. It's about trust, about believing in ourselves and each other. Resonance thrives on that connection."

"I know, but I don't want to be the one holding us down when it counts. So, I still wanna train, harder and in my own way that's why...please give ke the key to the dungeon?!" He bowed his head.

"Rokuro--"

"Just until you're done healing, let me go in on my own and figure out my way of getting stronger and I promise I'll show results so please!"

Benio was surprised but not so surprised by his request.

"Okay."

He perked up at her reply with a hopeful glint in his eye.

"Really?"

"Yes. Truth be told, I don't think I've been completely fair when it came to the dungeon. I was just worried that it might be dangerous for you, but looks like I gotta stop thinking you're delicate. You're Enmadou Rokuro. The obnoxiously loud snot-nose brat." She smirked.

"You've got room to talk you arrogant perky princess!" He roared.

"Seriously, perky princess? That's really the best you got?" She scoffed.

"Shut up!" He groaned.

A beat of silence and the pair started laughing.

"Here take the key and do your best Rokuro and please do try to come back with your head attatched to your shoulders." She handed him the key.