Chapter 1

Moving from Madison, Kansas, to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, was a big change for the Winchesters. James and Elizabeth, including their ten-year-old daughter Alex, needed a change. However, Alex felt alone. She could barely make any friends in a small town and even struggled a bit once they moved. When they arrived, they were greeted by Bobby Singer. While Sioux Falls was larger than Madison, they got comfortable. Everything was perfect. However, the unthinkable happened.

Three years ago, when Elizabeth was getting ready to close the store, it was the last time James and their daughter ever spoke to her. The local authorities believed it was a robbery gone wrong, but James questioned who would rob a bookstore in the first place. Since then, James had done very little traveling for work. He was supposed to head to Cairo for an excavation project, but he needed to be home with his daughter more often. Yet, there were times he would be away for a few days at a time, but Alex never questioned, since it was most likely work. Plus, he always promised to check in throughout the day to let her know he was alright.

While her mother didn't know what to do with the bookstore, James thought it would be best to keep it and have the both of them run it together whenever he was home. In a way, it kept him happy, including Alex, since it would've made her mom happy as well. Three years later, they were happy.

James still had his moments whenever the anniversary of her death came around, but he manages for the sake of Alex. Even Bobby Singer had also been looking out for them. Whenever Bobby came over, even Alex quietly questioned why he and her father always looked bothered by her mom's death. Hopefully, one day they'll find someone accountable after these years.

It was the last week of finals for Alex before she graduated. She was working at the bookstore some of her classmates walked in since it was the third anniversary of her mother's death in the store. While her father wanted her to stay home for the day before of it, but Alex was stubborn. Also, it kept her sane. She only had a couple of friends, but hadn't seen either of them that day. All she could think of was, both of them must've been sick.

Not thinking much of it, she was getting ready to close for the day. It was already 4:30pm and close to dinner. Flipping the sign to CLOSED, she texted her father to make him feel better. Then yet, he had her do this every day. Once she got in her car, Alex made the final to her father to let him know she was safe.

                                                            ☆ ____☽✮☾____☆

Heading to the scene, Bobby and James arrived. Even though Sheriff Mills was getting annoyed by the constant arrivals from the both of them, she gave up. They knew it was the same thing or someone who killed Elizabeth three years ago. But what bothered them it was the anniversary of her death. Keeping to themselves until Sheriff Mills walked back to her cruiser, Bobby took James to the side to talk to him.

James Winchester grew up on hunting. Ever since the moment he was a teenager and before meeting Elizabeth for the first time. While he never knew his brother, John had done the same thing, there was a lot of tension between the two brothers, since John was the oldest. Ever since her death, James tried to hide the guilt about how it was considered being his fault. Yet, Bobby continued to say it wasn't. This was something James never wanted to put his daughter get caught up in. He wants Alex to live a normal, happy life. But at the same time, he's tired of keeping this from her.

Running his fingers through his short black hair, it was isolated enough for Bobby to talk. "Remember the day you and John had that unwelcoming reunion? I forgot to mention he has a couple of boys, James. Don't be mad or anything, but they're going to arrive later tonight to help us out. All they know is it's another hunter, but I mentioned we're all going to talk."

"I have nephews, Bobby?"

"Yeah. Sam and Dean. Dean being the oldest, but if you want out of this case, that's fine. Bad enough, they don't even know they have an uncle. But before you say anything, they have issues with their old man, too."

"Like what, Bobby?"

"He always made Dean the parent to Sam after the death of his wife, Mary. Especially whenever they had gone onto hunts. When I say they, I mean John always had those two tag along, but left them in a motel room."

"Do you even know if John is still alive?"

"No, but that's for another day. Because of your brother being the way he was, I was more of a father to those boys and they know that. But the boys have been hunting for quite a while, though. I haven't had the heart to tell them about you and how they have a cousin. If anything, they're going to have to trust me and you."

"We'll see how it goes tonight, Bobby. In the meantime, I need to get home since Alex is leaving the bookstore. You know I need to protect her as much as possible."

"I'll keep in touch. She's not my kid and not telling you how to do your job, but you know how secrets aren't always the best to be kept."

Getting into the '69 Mustang, James headed straight home. He wanted to get there before she did so he could get some of his journals out. Thinking over what Bobby said, James knew he was correct. It was getting to where James was getting tired of keeping this side job from Alex. She was old enough to finally understand this since she's going to be seventeen in August. Hopefully, she would understand or actually believe this stuff. Unfortunately, she might after this.