Chapter 11

Back at Bobby's, Sam and Dean were in the study when James and Alex came back from dropping off Ashley. Sam never mentioned about the conversation about the letter, since it was James' call. Even he worried how Dean was going to react as well. When the two of them walked in, Alex headed straight for the kitchen to grab the journals, while James stayed silent. Bobby could tell something wasn't right as he noticed it with Sam. When Alex was out of earshot, James filled them.

"We have a problem," he began. "Sam knows, since I had to talk to someone about it. Alex is in trouble. While I have no idea what the problem is going to be about, but it involves one of Elizabeth's brothers."

"What brother?" Bobby asked.

"Paul Hughes. Apparently, I need to get a hold Castiel as well, even though we haven't crossed paths —"

"Hold up," Dean interfered. "Cas? The same angel Cas we know?"

"Yeah, Dean," Sam told him. "That one."

"Anyway. When Alex was only a few months old, he was given an anonymous order to protect her. He would show up in different vessels, but we always knew it was him. The last time we've seen him was when Alex was seven and that was it. Even the anonymous order bothered him, considering he didn't even know who gave it to him."

"Hope it's not a trap or anything," Bobby stated. "We do trust, Cas, but — even I'm not liking this whole anonymous order."

Alex eventually came back into the study with the journals. She had her headphones on and got herself comfortable on the floor. She knew they were watching her and how her dad was filling them in about the letter. It was only a matter of time they would need to find the questions and the answers about everything.

"I know this is asking a lot, but both of your names came up in her premonition," James added. "She figured the both of you could help, even though it seems like I'm piling everything on you."

"I don't know what to say, James."

Bobby could tell Dean was getting annoyed over this, since they all just met their family. But he also could see how James felt after all these years of hell from his own brother. "It'll be fine if you guys can't," James added. "To be honest, I've always been used to doing things on my own ever since I was a kid, yet — I never asked for help. Not once in my life. How Sam talked about you making a deal so he could live and how you ended up being both parents because of the death of your mom and, well, we all know how your dad was. That wasn't fair at all. I know it sounds like I'm trying to get sympathy here, Dean. But I'm not. Whatever is going to happen, I can't do this alone. I already lost Elizabeth, and sure as hell, I'm not going to lose my daughter, either. I know trusting witches can be an issue, and I get that. Believe me, I do. Even witches can't trust other witches, either. But —"

"You're right that trust issues can be a problem, however we're family. It's still going to take me a while to fully come to terms with that. I might get a little annoyed here and there, but when exactly is this supposed to happen?" Dean said.

"All I know is something is going to happen once she turns seventeen," James answered.

"Unfortunately, that's in about five months."

"We're good juggling a couple of things at the same time. However, I hope we can get questions and answers within that time frame."

As they talked, James still felt a little cautious over Dean. Yet, he would come around eventually. With the sky getting dark, Dean wanted to head over there as soon as possible, even though James needed to head home real quick. "Our house is on the way there, Dean. I need to have something in my possession for the time being," James explained. "It's something that Paul wants. It'll get explained more later on."

While Dean said nothing, James gestured Alex to head over toward the door since they were ready to leave. Bobby was a little confused about why she was tagging along with them, however none of them knew, either. Yet, he trusted them. Helping her up from the floor, the three of them were ready. While Alex was anxious over this potential ability, since it was something she had never felt before. Part of her didn't want this woman to be another victim. However, there were some things that couldn't be changed. That was something she had to learn from her mom years ago. Eventually, she got used to it.

She grabbed her sketchbook in case there was another premonition. Even though it was going to be dark in the car, she took it anyway. It was one of those things that made her feel better and take the time to put any pieces together. In the meantime, the three of them fell silent. Alex went for the backseat behind her dad, as Dean got behind the wheel.

For whatever reason, Alex was nervous. She was trying to hide it from the moment her dad mentioned it. However, she wasn't afraid of her dad or Bobby. Not even Sam, but guess it was the tone coming from Dean that needed to be worked on. Even her dad noticed it as well. Hopefully, the tension would ease throughout the rest of the case and maybe they would get to know each other better.

It was silent between the two in the car, and Alex knew Dean wanted to say something. He kept glancing in the rearview mirror every minute. While it was making her anxious more, she couldn't be rude about it. Before she could get a word in, he did.

"I may not be the type to apologize, but I do," he said. "I have nothing against your dad and you, Alex. It caught me off guard when we found out our dad had another brother, that's all. I'll admit I'm annoyed for Bobby not saying anything about it over the years. Also, I'm sure that sometimes hunters can't co-exist with witches, which your dad explained. Of course, the whole witches can't trust other witches as well. However, it's going to take a while for us to get to know one another, since there's no issue with Sam. But once your dad gets back, I'll let him know that it's not going to be a problem to help you out after this. Maybe the both of you can come on hunting trips every once in a while with us, too. Unless you're going to be leaving town after graduation?"

Alex knew he was being sincere, but still cautious a little. "I was planning on sticking around Sioux Falls," she replied. "Was going to look after the bookstore for mom, but I could help every once in a while at this end and maybe dad might take me on a trip. Then yet, dad might still be protective over me after this case."

"Can't really blame him, though. He wanted you to try to have a semi-normal life. Unfortunately, once you get into this sort of thing, it's a bitch to get out of it."

Not long after that, Alex found her dad walking out of the house. In one hand was something that was wrapped in cloth. The other contained a couple more journals, which had to be his personal journals for his work. This confused the both of them, but he was going to keep his promise of explaining everything later on. As he handed Alex both the stuff, the three of them made their way to the address Dean followed the next victim.