Chapter 7

The sun was peaking through the kitchen window once James noticed it was already morning. As he checked the clock on the wall, it was reading 6:55 am. Knowing Alex would need to wake up within fifteen minutes, James finished up on the concoction for her. All he could hope for it to work. Both of them grew exhausted with the constant pain and stress. Not a minute later, the three of them walked into the kitchen to find James still at the counter.

"Hope you're going to catch a few hours of sleep after this."

Looking up, Sam, Dean, and Bobby were staring at him, but he was going to keep his promise.

"I would love to, Bobby. However, there's an inventory heading to the bookstore today. But if either you need any type of book, feel free to stop by. We have books in the back room for when it comes to any case."

"You have all old books?" Sam asked.

"Yeah. Even if you need any requirements for spells as well. Elizabeth has a second shop in the back room. All you need to do is give me a list of what you need and I'll get it. Those are always on the house."

"Guess this one will be a hail Mary?"

"Yeah. Now it's getting her to drink the whole thing."

Getting up with the mug in hand, James made his way into the living room. Whenever Alex was recovering from her headaches, she always hid underneath the blankets, since it eased the pounding a bit. Sure enough. She was under the blankets. As he put the mug on the table, he crouched a bit as he lifted partial of the blanket to find her awake.

"I have something that might help, hon. It's something your mom made days before she died, even though it'll take a couple of minutes to work."

"What if it won't?"

"Then we won't give up."

James knew they were listening in, which it didn't seem to bother him. Eventually, Alex was sitting up, even though she still wrapped herself with the blanket. As he handed her the mug, she drank the whole thing. While it turned into a waiting game, James had doubts on the effectiveness. However, he needed that false hope at the moment. This was no way for his own daughter to live like this. But as each minute passed, he was afraid to ask her. Yet, he had to.

"Hon?"

There was no answer for a while. Until she was removing the blanket off of her. From what her father noticed, Alex looked better. As they both looked at one another, Alex asked, "Mom's last hail Mary?"

"Yeah."

"Well? Guess it worked, since my head isn't pounding anymore."

All James could do was laugh a bit of joy. "Why don't you get ready for your last exam, kiddo? Once you come back down, I'll fix something for you and the keys to the Mustang so you can get there."

Smiling back at her dad, she hugged him before heading upstairs with her bag of clean clothes. There was relief finally and hoped both of them could sleep better at night. As he got up, James didn't realize the three of them were standing there the whole time. While Bobby and Sam felt relieved, he understood it would take Dean longer to get used this. Hell. He wasn't sure if Dean would back out or just get up and leave once the case is over.

"What books do you have?" Dean asked.

"All sorts. Surprisingly enough, we even have an entire section full of folklore and mythology in the main store. The ones in the back are more about ancient folklore and mythology from all civilizations. Besides. You can check them out as well, since there's currently a couple of options."

"The Wishing Jester?"

"Alex named it when she was six, since her mom had a smaller building back in Madison."