Chapter 10

It was getting closer to the evening when the shelves were restocked. Same returned all the books to their shelves, while James had gone in the back to make sure Alex was alright. He had a feeling this was how she was going to react, since he knew his daughter too well. The letter troubled everyone, considering it was too vague. However, he noticed she was confused when Castiel was mentioned.

There were a few times James and Elizabeth had met Castiel. Alex was only three when the angel arrived, so she wouldn't have any memories of him. However, it had been years since they had last seen him. Part of him felt thy lost hope with Castiel, even though he couldn't answer why he needed to protect Alex. He knew the only thing to do was to contact him.

In the back store, Alex and Ashley finished restocking the inventory. He could tell she was still silent over the surprising news. Yet, he had a feeling something else was bothering her. He even wondered how to explain to her about the family Rochelle comes from.

Before he could ask them, Alex walked over. "We've been slowly distancing ourselves from Rochelle, dad." This was a surprise to James, considering how Rochelle was part of Alex's covenant.

"May I ask why, kiddo?"

"She's getting out of control with dark magic. We've been concerned with her for about a year now. It's already to where we don't even know what to do about it. What made it worse is, I had to block her from reading my thoughts permanently before I got out of the car this morning."

"There's something I want to talk to you about, Alex. It involved what was written in the letter besides the potential danger."

"Dad?"

"Apparently, your mom was having a lot of bad feelings about Rochelle and her family. Even though she figured you would work it out on your own, but — "

"Think we're figuring it out, dad."

"Just be careful. The both of you," he warned.

"We will, Mr. W."

With everything back in order, James followed the girls to the front of the store. Sam was waiting patiently as Dean was on his way. Hopefully, later on or eventually, to talk with the girls alone about Rochelle and how her family was. In the meantime, he was planning on dropping Ashley off at her house before heading back to Bobby's. However, they waited at the bookstore with Sam.

Alex tried to put some of her childhood together while her father and Sam talked. Even though she remembers the angel's name, Alex struggled to figure out what his vessel looked like. The only thing she could think of, he would have to change them constantly over the years. But she also couldn't help overhear them talking. Come to find out, Sam, Dean, and even Bobby worked with Cas frequently, and how even pulled Dean out of Hell. This surprised James and wondered why he was sent to hell. What surprised him even more was that Sam was willing to talk about it.

The night they had lost their mom, there was a demon named Yellow Eyes. Apparently, Sam was about to die as Dean did the unthinkable by making a deal with the Crossroads demon, even though this meant going to Hell. Alex could tell by her dad's expression on how he wished his own older brother would've done the same thing. Then yet, this resented him even more. Even when how their dad made a deal with Yellow Eyes himself to save Dean. However, he was glad his nephews were able to live because of him. Although James knew John wouldn't have even mentioned about the boys, but he was glad he got to meet them after all this time, considering the circumstances.

As minutes passed, Dean arrived. James had unlocked the door earlier before he was getting know his nephews, so Dean could walk in. He did his best to hide the hurt over the relationship Sam and Dean had. It was something he always wanted from his own brother.

Dean noticed the room was quiet and worried something was wrong. While James wanted to talk there, but he wanted Bobby to listen in as well. He was even surprised to see someone else in the room, but James assured everything was fine to talk. "I located the woman in purple," Dean added. "While I didn't get her name, but I was far enough behind to find out where she lives. So, I thought that either you or Sam want to watch over the house."

"Depends, Dean. Which street, since there's a certain neighborhood I live in and don't want to draw too much attention?"

"On W Silver Valley Drive."

Luckily, they lived on another road. James looked at Alex and remembered something about Alex from the night of her mom's murder. They both arrived at the bookstore here as Alex got out of the car and headed toward the front door. Like she was in a trance or something. He literally had to drag her away from the store and back into the car. Yet she couldn't snap out of it.

"I'll go with you tonight, Dean. But I have a request, though. Alex needs to come with us. It's difficult to explain, but she might have an ability that could help us out. Something I shouldn't have interfered three years ago."

"What ability?" Sam questioned.

"I'm not sure," James admitted. "But she was drawn here after we arrived that night. I don't think it had anything to do with losing her mom. If that's out of the question, I'll take her to the Medical Examiner's office and get her in."

Worried she was going to overhear, it was too late. Alex knew what he was talking about. Even though she couldn't explain what had happened that night, it terrified her. It terrified her dad, as well. James could tell Dean didn't seem to like the idea and, the fact he didn't know what was going on, he allowed it. This surprised Sam, but his only guess was Dean was doing his best to behave and easy up on the attitude. Eventually, Alex walked over. While she was uneasy about the whole thing, she needed to know what was going on with her. As she agreed, everyone was ready to head back to Bobby's. Alex handed over the keys to the Mustang to her father so he could drop Ashley off back at her house.

In the meantime, Alex assured she would keep a lookout for her premonitions. It was going to be a long night for them and hoped James is correct about his assumption with this potential ability of hers, even though none of them know what it is. Everyone left the bookstore as James was the last ne to lock up for the night. All he hoped for was this would be another way Alex could help. With the door locked, they headed toward their vehicles as they hoped they are pointed in the right direction later on.