Chapter 15

As they got everything situated, James always felt uneasy every time he walked into the bookstore. However, he was thankful that Alex was with him. Unfortunately, Alex was and still feels the same. She always avoided the exact spot where her mother was discovered. Whatever happened to his wife, her mother, James began to rethink having Alex work at the bookstore. At least, for now. Closing down the place early and getting the renovations started early wouldn't hurt so Alex could relax and not stress out so much, at the moment.

Once the sign flipped to be opened, the store began to fill. Ashley made her way behind the counter, while James didn't know what to do for once. Some were the customers, witches, warlocks, while others were mortals. This wasn't uncommon on the weekends or during the week. Since there wasn't a place for Sam to even sit once he arrived, James retrieved one from the back and placed it at one of the small tables against the opposite wall so he could have some privacy. But as he came back, Sam was searching through some of the shelves for some books.

"How's it going, Edmund?" James asked.

Edmund Osborne was a warlock, but he didn't seem too bothered with Sam in the bookstore. Considering how old he was, there wasn't even a strain of gray hair. That's what was great about being a witch or warlock. Well, somewhat. You grow old slower like a snail moves. However, James didn't want to admit that was jealous about the slowness of growing old, but he had gotten used to Elizabeth.

"I'm doing alright, James. I'm surprised you're keeping the bookstore on the anniversary of Elizabeth?"

"Need something to keep my mind off of it. Then yet, it makes it worse, since it happened here. But I might be closing early, considering we're going to be redoing the place the way Elizabeth wanted it."

"Something bothering you? If I may ask."

As he looked around to make sure there was no one in earshot, James was about to say something until Edmund caught what he was about to say. "Don't need to say it, James. We heard within the neighborhood that something is going on. Just keep Alex safe from whatever is going on."

"I will. Also, I'm also working on it with my nephews and-"

"Bobby, I know. If you need help with anything, don't be afraid to even ask. You know my number."

"Much appreciated, Edmund."

Some minutes seemed to pass when James noticed never out of the back room as he retrieved the list from Edmund and headed in the back to make sure she was alright. Where he found her was concerning. In the corner on the floor, Alex couldn't stop crying. Putting the list in his back pocket, James crouched in front of her to see if she was alright. Unfortunately, he knew that was a lie.

"Hon?"

"Thought I was able to work today, but I can't, dad. Guess everything coming to light from what you explained to me finally hit me."

"I am sorry, Alex. I didn't mean to hurt you this way."

"It's not about that, dad. It's about this trouble that I'm in. I'm so worried.

"We're going to figure that out, hon. Tonight once the boys and Bobby come over to the house, we'll get a hold of Cas. At least try to because I haven't heard from him in years." Unsure what else to say, he started to pick her from the floor and said, "Why don't you help Sam go through some of the books he grabbed from the shelves. I decided to close early today, since it's been rough for the both of us. Sounds good?"