Chapter Nine

"I would want to go on the boat," Laney answered.

He didn't need to know of her antics stemming since her sorority days. Can't get hurt if you play the game two steps ahead. That was the mindset that her mom taught her ever since she watched her go through horrible men until she turned seven.

He nodded and they were in brief silence as she brushed her teeth. "Lane do you like country?" he asked.

"I know the stuff on the radio and well... your album," she said turning red to her confession. It felt like a crime admitting that in Tennessee.

"I mean like the land," he laughed, "but that just means that I have work to do on you".

"Like doing country shit? Back roads and stuff? Never really done it," she said embarrassed. If her cheeks weren't red before, they sure were now.

"Want to tonight?" he asked.

"I have work tomorrow Morgan," she reminded him as they plopped on the couch.

"We could just work on my contract," he grinned suggestively.

"Morg-"

"I know I know, but I would love to take you somewhere tonight, just for a taste".

The knots that started to form in her stomach had her feeling a way she typically never feels.

"Fine," she replied, "can we not take the truck?"

"It's part of the country experience. Why don't you like it?" he asked shocked.

"I can't really get out of it since im short," she mumbled.

He laughed at her as he heard his phone go off. Work.

"Lane, I have to get to the studio but I'm going to text you later," he groaned.

She was unsure about walking him out and etc, but that did remind her, "hey can I ask for a favor?".

"Anything," he said while grabbing his jacket.

"Can I give you my spare key since you're my only friend here?" she asked while grabbing the spare key.

He nodded taking the key and she smiled, "thank you".

He walked out with a smile on his face that he wouldn't let her see. And as soon as the door shut she let out a sigh. Work was going to be a shit show.

She started thinking of ideas for Morgan's album reveal event: from drinks to decorations. And time was going by quick, soon enough it was night time.

Morgan said he would pick her up at 8:30 PM and it was 7:30, yet he showed up early.

"I came up with ideas for your reveal," Laney beamed while she opened the door.

He smelt like whiskey and that immediately made her frown a little but she tried to cover her emotions. "I'm glad," he smiled as he kicked his shoes off.

"Umm how was your writing today?" she asked slightly unsure what to say or do.

He plopped on the couch, "I wrote a good song for the most part so we celebrated. Let's talk".

She furrowed her eyebrows, "Morgan are you drunk?".

"No just buzzed. I don't even have anything to write about," he groaned dramatically putting his head back.

This wasn't a good look for him at all. "Um ok so do you still want to do some country shit?".

He nodded, "and I brought you a bottle of wine Laney Marieee".