Chapter Thirteen

When she opened her eyes it was 4 AM. But she had slept so much that she was full of energy. There was a note on her bedside table on the backside of a receipt:

Your food is in the fridge. Hope you enjoy, I'll talk to you tomorrow - M

She grabbed her phone to see that Morgan had followed her on Instagram, making her gain just a few followers; nothing suspicious or crazy.

She debated on waiting to text him or just going back to bed, but the worst that could happen was him just being asleep.

Lane: thank you for the food, just woke up and can't sleep

She went to the fridge and saw the styrofoam contained labeled as "Kung Pao Chicken" waiting for her. Yawning, she spooned some onto a paper plate. It was only 4:05 and she might have well just gotten ready for work at this rate.

The microwave went off and she grabbed the plate and caught sight of the canvas that she barely touched because of Morgan splattering paint everywhere. There was no vision for the painting but this seemed like the perfect time for her to create one. And the idea came: a little gift for Morgan.

She could create something based off of a song of his and present it to him at his album opening down the road as a gift from the "company" which was made by her, or it could be a private gesture. Nonetheless, it would turn out beautiful and touching.

The issue was that he wouldn't share a single snippet of a song that he was recording with her. A slight question about it would be met with uneasiness and a shift of attitude and tone.

She went onto Spotify and started going through his discography. It sucked that she was up this early. After scrolling frustrated with not being able to choose, she just let music flood her apartment instead. And then it hit her: his truck, the blanket, and a starry sky.

It was weird having feelings for someone like this. Someone as average as him but so famous at the same time. Someone who the world knew about but she shared a connection with on an intimate level. She wasn't sure what he would do; whether it was leaving her in the dust or ending up together, she was along for the ride for now.

The sun started to peek through the blinds and hit the canvas as she was putting the finishing touches on the canvas. It was one of her favorite pieces yet, she even painted the solo cups and the bottles in their placements alongside her boots. Such a simple yet personal touch.

6:30 AM and it was time to work again. Music was blasting in her apartment and coffee was brewing, she was in high spirits today. Waking up early definitely helped. The smell of hashbrowns and eggs for her sandwich filled the air of her apartment.

Morgan: i hope you slept well Lane Marie :) what've you been up to?

Laney: just painting away, what are you up to today? im getting ready to work

Morgan: putting a little song or two together, want to come and hear?

Laney: hell yeah hun

Morgan: I'll pick you up in ten minutes

Laney: i have work

Morgan: and we have a meeting

Laney wanted to scream. The interference with her work was becoming too much. But it was a nice gesture and she was going to choose to appreciate that.

Laney: hi Eleanor, have a meeting with Wallen this morning so i will be OOO for awhile

Eleanor: good luck!

She sighed in relief and stared at the painting. She couldn't wait to give it to him.

Morgan: im here

Laney: come in quick

She opened the door a peep which shocked him, "whatcha hiding Laneyyy?"

"Close your eyes Wallen," she grabbed his hand and tugged him in.

She couldn't help but place a quick peck on his lips, "so I wanted to gift this to you to congratulate you".

He was stood eyes closed in front of the painting and he opened his eyes. His mouth slowly dropped and he looked mesmerized.

"Holy shit. Laney I love it. I mean look at the placement of the cups," he said in awe.

The grin in her face was huge, "I'm so glad you like it".

He picked her up and hugged her placing a big kiss on her lips, "this is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me".

She was falling for him in that moment and he was too.

"Sooo let's go," she smiled.

"No not yet,"  he whispered kissing her.

"Morgan stop i have to go to work after," she giggled pushing away and grabbing her bag.

He sighed dramatically and looked at the ceiling, "God why? But i am putting this painting framed in my apartment and after you're done working you'll see it".

They got in the truck and he had one hand on the steering wheel and another on her thigh which she placed in her hand later on.

They hopped out and she went quiet looking at the studio. They went through the building where he signed her in as a guest and went into a room on the third floor.

He opened the door and there it was, a studio with a small team.

"Good morning yall," he said greeting everyone.

They all waved and looked at Laney.

"This is Laney," Morgan introduced her.

"Hi everyone," she shyly waved.

He unconsciously let go of her hand as he went into the studio and grabbed a stool, "come on Lane".

She walked behind him murmuring her excuse-me to each person she accidentally touched. He pressed play and a song started to play called "Broadway Girls".

At the end of it, she stood there stunned. She knew damn well that song was about her. She just stared at him not knowing what to say and he did the same back.
"And that's a hit!" some guy said.

"Y'all are good to go," Morgan plainly said.

Everyone slowly lined up and got out the room. And it was just them left staring at each other. She walked up to him and sat in his lap on the stool facing him, "I wonder where your inspiration came from".

He turned a little red, "um well-"

"What are you trying to say here Wallen?" she asked, "leave them broadway girls alone".

"Uh well-"

"No I get it, it's a song" she grinned, but her feelings were a little hurt.

He smiled as he looked at her. There was nobody who understood him quite the way like she did so far.

"Where's the next one?" she asked.

"Uh it's not done," he said scratching the back of his neck.

Was he embarrassed?

She nodded, "it was a great song, it's going to do great".

"I'm not that proud of it," he said spinning her around a little in the chair.

"Well you should be," she gave him a peck on the lips, "but I need to go to my job".

He sighed dramatically again but plopped her on the side as he got up, "thank god it's only four more hours".

And those four more hours couldn't have gone any slower today.