Chapter Twenty Five

As she drove in the darkness, her stomach was knotted the whole drive. She didn't know what to expect or what she even wanted to say. The videos of him were still engraved in her head and she knew he had hooked up with other people since then based on social media. People were claiming he was going "off the rails" once again.

But for her, she had been leading men on and just focusing on her career. She had kissed a few guys here and there, and she had given head but she didn't let anything else happen. She was just distracting herself.

Pulling into what once was a lush green driveway, she pulled into the dead grassy drive. It seemed like he wasn't tending to the house. She sat in her car for a minute staring at the house, it seemed cold and empty.

She parked her car, turned it off, and walked to the door knocking on the door. Any normal person would have rang the doorbell but she couldn't think straight with her heart pounding so quickly. The door swung open and there he was.

"Come in," he croaked. He looked unwell, he didn't look like he was taking care of himself and he looked stressed.

She made her way inside taking off her shoes as they walked to the living room. The painting that she had left, the one part of her she left was hanging loud and proud in the kitchen above the minibar. She smiled looking at it as she sat on the couch he followed her haze nervously.

"So tell me, how have you been?" she asked casually. She was trying to break the tension that was obviously present.

"The album is almost done. I'm excited about it, just haven't slept well and whatnot. I kind of have been lost. How about you?" he said taking a sip out of his glass.

She noticed his glass wasn't filled with whiskey but with water.

"I've been focusing on work. Thanks for driving me home," she said to him, "That's exciting about your album. Have you been liking the house?".

"Um yeah, I've been busy and at my mama's so I really haven't been here. She comes once in a while," he said.

"Your grass is dead," she bluntly said.

He nodded, "She only comes once every two weeks. It's been a long while. I'm learning.... Gosh Laney I can't do this," he buried his head into his arms.

She stayed silent as he continued to speak, "I know you're happy. I know you're better off with someone else but I just can't. I know I screwed up. I'm just sorry".

"Why did you do it?" she asked.

"I'm stupid. I had everything I wanted," he said.

"Yeah, you are. Especially with that haircut. I like the painting being hung up there," she coldly said.

"It's the one thing you left of you," he sighed looking at it, "And I love it so thank you".

Her heart skipped a beat at him saying "I love" but the words following that weren't what she expected. She wanted him to say it but she was still pretty hurt. The two stayed silent momentarily before she spoke, "I'm not seeing anyone. I know you think that I am but I'm not. I know you have been seeing girls, I've seen it on social media but I'm not".

He looked at her and looked like he was about to break down, "When I lost you, it felt like nothing mattered anymore. I'm sure you saw the headlines".

She just sighed. It was tough for her as it already was facing him. Everyone said he went back to his old ways in the headlines.

"Let me show you around," he broke the silence.

She got up and followed him. The house was eerily quiet with their footsteps filling the house.