Chapter Twenty Four

They must have gone to bed super late because when Laney woke up it was 11 AM and Ana had already left. She looked up the show that Morgan was referring to and he looked pretty plastered and stormed off after having someone throw something at him.

She wasn't necessarily completely shocked but she was nervous for him now. She picked herself up and went to the little art room he had created for her.

It was so nice out that she wanted to sit by the pool though. So she dragged the stop first and then the rest of her supplies to the yard so she could paint looking at the lake. Her first idea was a wine glass and a whiskey glass and then she would go on to paint the lake.

Or maybe a table with the lake in the background and the two glasses on the table... that sounded better. It was lonely without him there but she would manage.

It was around 4 PM when Ana had called. Laney was doing her finishing touches on the painting for the most part.

"Hey girl," Laney greeted her on the phone.

"Hey... how are you?" Ana carefully asked.

Laney noticed the shift in her tone and became confused, "I'm good, just painting. What's up? Everything okay?".

"Do not freak out. But I'm going to send you a link," Ana said.

Laney waited for the text from Ana to appear and it was a video of Morgan. More specifically, a video of him kissing two random college girls at the bar on the lips for a picture and then making out with one of them.

Laney dryly chuckled as she rewatched it.

"Laney?" Ana spoke.

Laney wasn't even sad but she was angry.

"Why did I move all my shit here?" Laney asked Ana.

"I can come to get you and help you move," Ana said.

"I'm only taking my clothes and some other things. The paint and stuff can stay in that one room. I just finished this painting but can't take it. It won't be dry on time," Laney fumed.

She immediately started grabbing her stuff and piling it into a box. It was 4:30 and Morgan probably would get home at 6.

She was blind in rage. As if this wasn't her worst nightmare. Who does something like this? Who says I love you and then makes out with girls at a bar?

She debated on leaving his key but decided to take it with her. Almost all of her stuff was in her car by 5:30 when she had decided to grab the painting supplies. Time was ticking and she didn't want to see him.

Her painting was still there and she had gathered all of her things. Maybe she was stupid for falling for him. She was stupid.

She drove off in tears seeing the porch light fade off in the mirror. She wasn't going to leave a note or text him, she was off on her own. Alone again.

When she got to her apartment, Ana helped her unload her stuff once again. There was just silence filling the air as Laney drank her way through a bottle of wine. She had cracked open a second bottle when she decided to look at the missed calls from Morgan and the texts. They were mostly apologies and "I really love you". But she didn't care. Her mom was right.

Ana had left around 8 PM and it was around 9:30 when she got out of the shower. She put on her own pajamas and just sat on her balcony. She rarely smoked but this seemed to be the occasion for it as she poured herself another glass of Cabernet. The Nashville skyline was glowing and she had the idea to paint it. Grabbing a canvas and some paint, she sat on her painting stool.