VIII

HERA

I woke up at dawn around 6 am because of Avery. I could hear her shiver while sleeping, and when I checked her temperature using the back of my palm, I could tell that she had a high fever. I stood up to check if it still raining outside and called someone to help me with Avery.

"Hey, Olive." I greeted the person I called.

"Good morning to you too Hera." She sarcastically greeted me back.

"I need some help." I told her.

"Wow. That's new, the great Hera was asking me for help?" She said sounding like it was a piece of big news to her.

"Yes bitch. My Avie here was sick and I need some help." I said.

I looked over Avery and she was still shivering even with the blanket I used to cover her aside from the one she was using.

"Well that's new. Now you got my attention, who's this Avie of yours?" She asks me.

"That's mine to keep and for you to find out. I'll send you the location. Go here and bring some food and medicine, okay?" I didn't wait for her to answer and ended the call.

For now, I am going to boil some water and bathe Avery with a tepid sponge bath to lower her temperature. I know that drinking hot or warm water could help her because that's what my Nana did when I was sick.

While giving Avery a sponge bath I can clearly see and appreciates Avery's beauty. Avery has this androgynous beauty that anyone can attract with just a simple look and smile. I admit that I am one of her admirers, everything about her is loveable. While appreciating her looks I didn't notice her stares at me watching me silently.

"Hey. Do you now feel better?" I asked her but didn't get any answer, just a stare.

Her stare made me get lost in her eyes. Her eyes are empty, but they look like they have something to convey. Suddenly, I felt warm arms around my waist. Before I could react, I felt a head over my shoulders and slow yet hot air in that area.

"Avery?"

"Hey. Avery?" I called her but did not answer.

I decided to lay her down again on the bed to let her rest comfortably. I was about to stand and change the water in the basin when someone held my wrist and stopped me.

"Please stay." She unconsciously blurted and tightened the hold on my wrist.

I stayed and waited for her to deepen her sleep before changing the water in the basin. Once she was sleeping soundly, I stood up, changed the water, and went straight to her room again. I checked my phone for any updates from Olivia because she was taking so long. 

Why does when I expect someone to be early that's when they arrive late or move slow?

I am frustrated because I cannot find any food suitable for Avery; the only available food here in her apartment was processed food, instant noodles, canned goods, and some junk food. I know Avery's background because I read her file in school.

 Avery was one of the most popular students in school because of her kind and genuine personality, which everyone adores. She's the first student that I recognized back when I visited the school my grandfather owned, which I now manage. She's the type of girl that stands out on the crowd without doing anything. When I first saw her she was carrying her classmate on her back running towards the clinic with some of her classmates assisting her. 

I was taken aback by looking back at the time I saw Avery and how kind she was when I heard continuous knocks on our door. That's why I went to the door and looked to see who was making noises, revealing not just Olivia but our other friend Victoria.