78. Sleepless Nights

CHAPTER SEVENTY-EIGHT
SLEEPLESS NIGHTS

It had been a week since Kimmy had gotten out of the hospital, and it was as if Aaron had not wanted to leave her side. The boy was terrified for her.

Just like Aaron had asked her to, she'd ended up staying at his house.

Her room was the guest room in the large home, the one that had remained empty for years, the only one downstairs. Aaron was positive the only reason it was even made up to look like a bedroom was so that everything looked organised, however it never actually had anyone staying in it.

Kimmy didn't have an issue being the only person to sleep downstairs, however Aaron did.

Although that was more because he'd convinced himself it would be more difficult for her to get help if she needed it, seeing as both he and his brother were upstairs.

She'd not been sleeping great - Aaron knew this. The pain of her injuries growing overwhelming and quite literally waking her up and causing her to struggle to fall back asleep.

Since she was downstairs and she was still struggling with her injuries, Aaron would sneak down at least two times during the night to check on her.

The boy was so paranoid something would happen to her that he could not get to sleep until he knew she was okay.

So like usual, the boy crept down the stairs as quietly as he could, instantly heading for the brunettes room.

It was late, the boy had actually already been asleep that night. But he'd woken up at some point and the worry didn't take long to settle in.

As quietly as he could, he opened her bedroom door and slowly made his way over to her bed. While looking down at her curiously, he reached his hand out to move her hair away so in hope he could see her face, the boy only able to leave once he saw she was still breathing.

Her back was to him, which was why he hadn't realised that she was still awake, not until she shifted and turned to face him with a tired expression.

"What's wrong?" Kimmy whispered, her eyebrows knitting together in concern. She was clearly half asleep.

"Nothing's wrong." Aaron reassured her instantly, he too talking in a whisper. The blond hesitated before his next words, momentarily biting the inside of his cheek before be rushed the words out. "I was checking on you, I was- I was just worried. I was just making sure you were okay."

Kimmy appeared to be taken aback for several seconds, perplexity consuming her face before understanding sunk in. "Oh... I'm okay. I'll be fine."

The boy reluctantly nodded, scratching his arm as he was unsure what to do.

"Um... would you feel better if we switched rooms?" Aaron blurted cautiously, unable to hide his anxiety on the matter. "I just don't like the thought of you being down here yourself after what's happened. What if-"

"Aaron, I'm fine." Kimmy cut him off before he could find himself spiralling on theories. "I'm okay down here on my own, I know I can come get you if I really need to."

Aaron wanted to disagree with her, her words bringing no sense of comfort to the boy. He wanted to tell her that he couldn't just stop worrying and act like everything was fine when it wasn't.

Kimmy was just out of the hospital and Aaron wasn't going to ignore that. He'd been completely stressed out with her wellbeing.

"You don't have to say that you're fine. I know you're not. Kimmy, you're just out of the hospital and you're up all through the night because of how much you hurt." Aaron told her in a serious voice, trying to get her to see his perspective. "And I know you can come get me if you need to but I still worry. It would make me feel better if you would swap rooms with me so that you can get help faster if you need it. I don't like knowing you're down here on your own."