42. Unexpected Visitors

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
UNEXPECTED VISITORS

The group were stood surrounding the kitchen table, showing Eleven the morse code scribbles as well as the CLOSEGATE written on the notepad, hoping that Eleven could help them out.

"You opened this gate before, right?" Joyce asked the girl anxiously, the woman fidgeting with her hands nervously.

Eleven was reluctant to respond, nodding hesitantly. "Yes."

"Do you think if we got you back there, that you could close it?" Joyce asked anxiously, watching the girl with a slightly scared expression as Eleven didn't answer.

"It's not like it was before." Hopper answered for the girl, shaking his head as he spoke. "It's grown a lot. And I mean, that's considering we can get in there. The place is crawling with those dogs."

"Demo-dogs." Dustin corrected, causing Aaron to wince, knowing that it really wasn't the time.

"I'm sorry," Hopper scoffed at the boy. "What?"

"I said, uh, demo-dogs." Dustin elaborated, although now he sounded much more hesitant. "Like demogorgon and dogs. You put them together and it sounds pretty badass-"

"How is this important right now?" The man asked harshly, sending the boy a look that would probably have Aaron in tears and profusely apologising if it were sent his way.

"It's not, I'm sorry." Dustin mumbled instantly turning away from the man.

"I can do it." Eleven reassured in a confident voice, looking to Hopper as she spoke.

"You're not hearing me." Hopper spoke in a tired voice and shook his head at the girl.

"I'm hearing you." Eleven retorted confidently. "I can do it."

Hopper seemed to hesitate, conflicted on what to do or say.

"Even if El can," Mike spoke up before Hopper had the chance to from the man's side. "There's still another problem. If the brown dies, the body dies."

"I thought that was the whole point." Max scoffed from her spot next to Kimmy.

"It is." Mike was quick to agree, nodding his head. "But if we're really right about this... I mean- if El closes the gate and kills the mind flayer's army..."

"Will's apart of that army." Lucas whispered, Aaron snapping his head over to his friend as his heart dropped.

"Closing the gate will kill him." Mike announced, Aaron feeling sick at the idea.

Aaron shook his head at Mike, panic consuming his senses as he began to breath heavier. "Well, then we can't. We can't be responsible for killing our friend-"

Aaron cut himself off with a confused expression as Mrs Byers, Jonathan and Hopper all left the room, Aaron turning to his brother with a perplexed look. Steve looking back at him with a matching expression of confusion.

The thirteen year olds as well as Steve and Nancy followed the three, ending up in the room where Will was.

Aaron winced as he looked at his friend. Will did not look well at all. He was pale and clammy, Aaron was almost positive that Will's lips had tinted a kind of blue.

"He likes it cold." Joyce whispered as she looked to the open window, a look of concern on her face.

"What?" Hopper asked, sounding genuinely puzzled.