Chapter 12 - Crime and Punishment

"You all should've seen how they kill.." Lestrange mused, his tone laced with cruel amusement as he gestured at the two women sitting in front of him.

The silence settled among the group as everyone stared at the 5 people seated at the table. Laion only faintly smiled back as the attention was turned to them. She kept twirling her wand in her hand, as mockery or just fidgeting remained the question.

"So it was you." Emma and Dirca once more exchanged glances, as others were putting two and two together.

"It was us, right Malfoy? How did it feel to use an Unforgivable for the first time in so long?" Lestrange's expression lit up with cruel amusement, the expression scary enough to battle Riddle's.

"Give it a rest," Abraxas replied, not bothering to look back at the man on his left, earning himself only a wider smile from Rodolphus.

The standing Death Eaters exchanged looks as they stared back at Lestrange and Malfoy, who now sat closest to the Dark lord himself. Alden looked back at Riddle, who was silently watching the situation unfold in front of him and something deep inside Viridian knew it wasn't a good sign. Their Lord wasn't a talkative man, deeming silence as a weapon in its own way, but whenever the silence grew cold and loaded around him it was a sign of things turning for the worse.

Emily put her hand on Emma's shoulder as the latter was gritting her teeth so hard it was almost audible. Avery kept holding Dirca's hand as a way to show her that he was nearby, that she had someone who would stand by her and for her. Angeline only gave an unreadable look to the bunch seated at the table, if she felt something she surely didn't show it.

"What happens now?" Rosier asked the quiet Riddle, straightening his shoulders as he watched the Dark Lord slowly raise his eyes at him. That action alone could earn Rosier a stricter punishment.

"What would you suggest to happen now?" The question silenced even the sound of the wind outside, the candles' flame was barely visible the world seemed to go quiet as the Dark Lord spoke, his voice laced with a heavy undertone of venom.

"You go fuck yourself." Dirca took a step forward, standing by Rosier's side receiving a terrified look from Lorcan who hesitated just for a moment before he tugged her back to his side. The room's temperature dropped to zero as Riddle shifted his focus from Rosier to Dirca who was fuming with two men now, her husband for not standing by her and with Riddle for setting them up for cruel amusement.

"You want us to work for you, to be loyal even if because of fear but then what we get in return is your cruel games for an excuse to punish us," Emma spoke up, as she moved away from her group and stood next to Dirca.

"Right, you are keeping us here under the reason of our families being dead but put us against each other for doing exactly what you asked of us." After a moment of stunned silence, Emily joined Emma by her side, the words rippling through the air as if she were going for the Dark Lord's throat.

"If you didn't want anything from us then our families would be dead already, and so would be we right next to them." Angeline supported the girls, as she looked down at her gloved hand as if checking her nails like the conversation was a casual weather discussion to her.

Leonard looked between the women who stood around him and had no choice but to lower his gaze back onto the table. The Death Eaters spent years taking everything Riddle was throwing at them without a word, without a thought of disobeying, without talking back, these women got here just a little over a week ago, spent most of it in the dungeons and still had their spirit unbroken. He clenched his fists and unclenched them again, the admiration for what these women did and how they did it was blooming in his chest.