Chapter 31 - The Preparations

Bee Gees - Tragedy

Tom Riddle announced a ball

Tom Riddle announced a ball. It was a surprise to the women in the Manor, as they had heard of the Malfoy Manor events before but never connected the occurrence of those with Riddle's scheming. Not that they cared before. The event was to take place a week from now and the preparations have already started.

Apart from the typical procedure of the floors being polished, the suits being tailored and the candles in the ballroom replaced there were different kinds of preparations going on and as much as the Death Eaters wanted to believe that they had everything under control it wasn't quite the truth.

The ball was the opportunity Dumbledore and his army needed. A huge crowd, music and people too drunk to remember the right details of what they saw or rather didn't see. Even Dumbledore himself couldn't believe in the coincidence or rather how lucky he was with the opportunity that just rolled right into his hands.

Having Ministry friends was an advantage he was really grateful for, as he now possessed the building plans for the entire Malfoy Manor. The floor plans were lying on the table in the middle of the room where he and his followers gathered after finding out about the Ball announcement.

"The ballroom is to the side of the building, but the hallways from it lead to more quiet places that will most likely be locked during the event. That will be our opportunity," Dumbledore pointed his finger at the location on the map.

"Poison would be more efficient," a woman said from the crowd around the table. "We will simply need to blend in with the servers and serve the key people their drinks."

"Poisons have smells, have states and people like them have antidotes," Dumbledore said, as he took her words into consideration. He honoured all ideas and suggestions his people had, as he respected them for who they were.

"Not some of the more intricate ones," the woman continued, "I have several vials of my grandfather's making. It's old, uncommon and as far as I'm concerned doesn't have a confirmed antidote."

"You heard the lady," Dumbledore gestured at the woman who seemed satisfied with Dumbledore's decision to listen to her words, "We will need to decide on who could blend in better and find out as many details as we can about the ongoing preparations for the event. If we want to get this done we must be swift and precise, not a single mistake is allowed. I leave that in your hands, in the meantime, I need to contact our source in the Manor and get some of you on the invitation list. We need eyes and hands on the situation from all sides."

With that he left the room, his followers focusing on the building plan and their plan on which places could be easier spots of access. Dumbledore headed back into his study, the dark room with dimmed candlelight and closed curtains. He scared Emily away once but he wasn't so sure that if she rallied her force again and came after him he would be just as lucky the second time. He took a fresh sheet of parchment and the quill, the intricate handmade handle fit right into his hand as he wrote the letter. He asked for several names to be sneaked into the invitations list after Riddle checked and confirmed it, he described how he wanted to observe the ball and know more about Riddle's numbers. How important it was for the Order to at least remotely understand who was on Riddle's side and whom they shouldn't bother recruiting onto their side. He made sure to leave out their plans and anything that could make his contact suspicious of some different activity going on.