Part 3

Part 3:

I squinted at the light. Billie Joe stood still, and so did my father. I quickly dug through my pockets to see if I could find anything. I pulled out a folded piece of paper, unfolded it, and handed it to Billie Joe.
"Here's a copy of this month's syllabus." I lied, I have no idea what's on that piece of paper. "So far everything on there seemed simple, so you shouldn't have many problems with the homework, and if you do, just give me a call. My number is on there! See you at school!" I said cheerily to Billie Joe as he took in the massive lie I just told.
"Hey Dad! This is Billie Joe, we're lab partners in Chemistry and our teacher is really tough. Guess it was a good idea to take those extra classes in the summer huh? Anyway, I gotta get back up to my room... gotta study and stuff! Bye!"
I looked past my shoulder and Billie Joe just waved and said in a voice that was nowhere near as nervous as I was,
"It was nice to meet you, sir. Goodnight." Dad nodded, and closed the door.
"He seems nice, doesn't he?" I said, trying to sway whatever negative opinion Dad picked up from him.
"He seemed okay. A little slow maybe. But I don't know. I've only just met him. Why did he show up at night?"
Just ten minutes ago I was asking myself the same question.
"Well, uh, I told him to show up whenever he had time, and he said he just got off of prac- erm... work!" I said, knowing I just blew my cover, and all my lies would crash on top of me.
Dad hesitated. "Well, I just hope he doesn't bring your grades down. You're doing the responsible thing in helping him, but don't forget to help yourself."
I mentally let out a sigh of relief.
"I won't Dad, goodnight, I love you."
"I love you too, Scarlett." He said, hugging me.
I headed up to my room, with the gnawing feeling of not knowing what paper I gave Billie Joe. He was probably halfway home by now, and trying to go after him for just a silly paper would make me look ridiculous. I shook my head and decided to start reading my book again, only to end up reading the same paragraph four times in a row. I went over to the corner or my room and switched on my record player, and started playing some Beatles. They're my favorite band; too bad I wasn't a hippie. I was about halfway through the song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", when my phone in my room rang. It was already passed 11 and my parents were surely asleep, so I picked up the phone quickly, grabbing my notepad to take a message.
"Hello?" I answered,
"Hey Scar, how's it going?" Billie Joe said on the other end of the line. I seriously considered hanging up, but my hand wouldn't let me.
"How'd you get my number?" I asked instead.
"Oh, it was on the 'syllabus' you handed me, which actually wasn't a syllabus at all. It's your classes schedule, and it's got your contact number on it, so I'd thought I'd call to make sure."
"Oh really? Now what if one of my parents were to answer?" I challenged.
"Then I'd start speaking another language really quickly and act like I'm trying to sell them something." He chuckled. Wow, he really was something.
"Do you even speak another language other than the one you almost know?" I laughed.
"No, but it doesn't matter as long as I sound like I know what I'm talking about!" He laughed again, and I laughed with him.
When we both stopped laughing, and it got quiet on the other line.
"Hey Scar?" He asked, his tone changing.
"Uhm, Scarlett," I corrected, "yeah?" I was starting to feel a little nervous.
"Can I call you more often? You're really nice to talk to."
My cheeks were on fire, I was blushing so hard.
"Sure, Billie Joe. You're pretty interesting to talk to yourself." I said, smiling to myself.
"Sweet," he started, "and uh... you can just call me Billie if you want... no big deal." He said softly.
"Okay, Billie." I confirmed.
"Okay, goodnight Scar, see you in Chemistry."
"See ya."
I hung up, and buried my face into my pillow. Now I've really done it.