Part 7

All week I had been thinking about my date with Billie this Friday. I didn't know how to dress; Billie didn't mention where we were going, so I made a quick decision of just my denim jeans, a tank top, with a flannel over it, and my black boots. This was one of those "weird" outfits my mom didn't really approve of. Over the next couple of days, I sat in my room, and studied for my finals. I'd see Billie every now and then at school, and talk to him on the bus, and sometimes I'd talk about him at home. This is what baffled my parents.
On Thursday night, I walked downstairs after dinner to get a glass of water. My mom was in the living room, watching television.
"Scarlett?" She called.
"Yes Mom?" I answered, walking into the living room.
"What's up?"
"Oh, not much. It's just... this Billie Joe character... your father and I only know him as your friend, but it seems that you're growing quite fond of him." She said, but in a tone that wasn't as hopeful as I'd like. I quickly made a decision.
"Yeah... I mean - he's a really good friend. In fact, uh... tomorrow, we're going to study for our finals next week, at his house. He's really good at math, and, well, you know how I am at that..." I said, lying, trying to push off any notion that I was going on a date with Billie.
"Is that so?" She asked.
"Yes ma'am." I replied.
"Well..." she started. "It just so happens that I overheard you talking on the phone with Billie, and I heard that tomorrow was going to be a date. A dinner, and movie - the two of you alone - type date." She said harshly. I hung my head in defeat.
"Scarlett, you could have told me you were going on a date, you don't have any reason to lie to me, especially about a boy."
"Yes ma'am." I whimpered.
"Since you've already made plans with him, I'm going to let you go,"
My head shot up.
"Thank you, Mom, this is great, you won't have to worry about -"
"But, after that, you're grounded." She finished. I nodded my head, and smiled.
"And I want to meet him." I nodded, and she smiled. "But don't you lie to me again, Scarlett."
"Yes ma'am." I said once more, and headed up to my room.

•••

Today was the day - Friday. School was quick and easy. I talked to Billie, and he said that where he was taking me, was a surprise. He told me to wear something cool, so I picked out a new outfit; black boots, denim jeans, a black tank top, and a leather jacket. I straightened my hair, and put it halfway up, then applied my makeup. I didn't put on any eyeliner yet... my mom didn't like it. So that would wait until I got to Billie's car. Billie said he was picking me up at 7, and here it was, 6:30, and I was ready to go. I turned on my record player, and listened to the Beatles, while reading my book. I heard the doorbell ring at 6:50 and looked out my window. Sure enough, it was Billie. I ran downstairs and said bye to my parents before running out of the door, fast enough to where they wouldn't be able to make small talk. When we got settled into Billie's car, I noticed it was kinda junky, like, there was stuff everywhere. Sheets of paper, guitar picks, pens... a 3 pack of medium sized condoms...
He noticed my noticing and grabbed them, along with the rest of his stuff, and threw it into the back.
"So..." he said. "Are you ready?" I smiled like an idiot.
"As I'll ever be!"
"Good, because we're going to Berkeley, it's about a 30 minute drive."
Berkeley? What was in Berkeley?
We left our little suburb, crossing the broken tracks and passing Billie's house, then entering Berkeley. I hadn't recognized the route Billie drove, but he seemed to know where he was going.
We stopped in a little lot, that was used for parking only, and we walked about a block. I was only beginning to wonder why we're were behind all of the buildings, when Billie reached out for my hand, and stopped me. I turned to face him.
"Scar... I wanted to tell you, that you look very nice tonight, and you actually fit in so well, where we're going."
I blushed, and squeezed his hand. He stepped closer to me, and I got a little bit closer myself. He was looking at my lips. He wanted to kiss me. I began to lean in, and just inches from his lips... when someone opened the back door to one of the buildings. Billie and I quickly pulled away from each other, but he still held onto my hand.
"Hey man! I was just about to come find you! We're live in 10!" Mike screamed from the doorway, then went back inside.
"What?" I questioned, "you're live?" My eyes lit up.
"Well... surprise," he said, smiling.
"I wanted to bring you to our show tonight, so you can see us play." I looked around. Gazing at the dirty building Mike hollered from. "You play in there?" I asked, kinda shocked.
"Yeah... it's a lot better inside, trust me. This is the area where all the after parties take place." He chuckled.
"What's it called?" I asked, becoming even more interested.
"Gilman Street, more specifically, 924 Gilman Street, which is actually the location of be place. It's a club where punk bands play, we started playing here about a year ago, but don't worry. Everyone in there is very nice, and they want to meet you."
My heart raced as Billie Joe squeezed my hand once more, and led me into the dark, humid club, with guitars being played at to almost no rhythm, but still managing to sound pretty good.
Billie met Mike and Tre onstage, as I was led by security to the front row. Even these big body guard guys were covered in tattoos and piercings. Everyone was calm and collected, waiting for the band to start playing, when everyone screamed, and the entire club went black.