Part 9

They first thing Billie and I saw were the lights. Well, Billie saw them before I did. He was kissing me, my lips, for what seemed like hours. He pulled away once, and then put my arms around him, and we just kinda stood there, swaying a bit to the distant sounding music, high as frick. I had my back to the only street around the building area, when Billie got tense.
"Oh shit, Scarlett." I was starting to get really nervous because when he calls me Scarlett something serious is about to go down, and he was as tense as a freakin metal beam. I tried to pull away from him, but he held me tighter.
"What? Billie what's going on?" I whispered.
"Cops." He said quietly. "Don't make any crazy dramatic moves or they will notice you, and bust us. They have their lights on, so they're trying to get people's attention. They don't see us now, so we can just walk outta here without being noticed, but don't freak, okay?" He explained.
I didn't make any sounds, I just nodded. But then I started thinking about the Cops TV show and how those big guys in uniform brought down druggies and felons no matter who they were, and I started to panic. My breathing became irregular and my heart rate picked up. Billie noticed right away, and he stroked my hair, as if to calm me down, and it worked. Slightly. I was still shaking when Billie grabbed my hand, and slowly led us behind another building, out of sight from any law enforcement. We walked for about two blocks until we were away from the cops. While we were walking we had heard sirens, and neither of us had to say anything, because we both knew the cops had arrested some people. I, being my panicked, anxiety ridden self, started to feel guilty. My high had disappeared and now I was about to have a breakdown. My palm that was enclosed in Billie's became sweaty, just like my forehead, and my breath hitched in my throat. Billie noticed, once again.
"Hey... Scar, it's okay..." He pulled me into a hug and I just tried to focus on my breathing. "We're not in any trouble, I've got some deodorizer for the weed smell, you're alright! Shhhh..." he comforted.
When he let go of me, I ran my fingers through my hair and sat on the curb of the road. Billie sat next to me.
"Billie..." I started.
He looked at me, smiling.
"You played freakin amazing tonight. I hadn't had that much fun at a show in... well... ever. And then at the party, with the weed, that was good too, but... gosh. You're a good kisser." I said, feeling my cheeks get hot.
He laughed. "I'm a good kisser? Let's talk about you, you're the one with the pouty lips!"
"Me? Pouty?! That sounds more like you!" I said hitting his foot and standing up, running into the street.
"Oh really?" He returned, and got up suddenly, chasing me. I laughed as I ran from him. I ran towards a little bus stop, and was almost to the bench, when Billie caught me. He was behind me, arms wrapped around my waist as we both laughed. I struggled to get free, and he let go of me. I turned around and faced him, pouting a bit on purpose. He stepped closer to me, and tilted my chin up to his lips, and kissed me, softly. This kiss blew away anything we had done before... this was... something else. This was passion, excitement, and, something else I really wanted to feel, but didn't know if I should. He pulled away, and I opened my eyes. He was looking at me, not staring, just... looking. I mean, its not like I wasn't taking him all in, but then he spoke.
"Scar, with all of this that happened tonight, and I know it's only the first date, and we are uh... together... but I think we ought to... uh..."
"Be together, together?" I finished for him. He just looked at me. I nodded,
"Me too." I simply said, and he hugged me. I had actually forgotten we were standing by a bus stop, so when the bus rolled up, I freaked a little because I was still jumpy from running away from the cops. Billie laughed and started to get on the bus, but I grabbed his hand.
"Wait," I said, "what about your car?"
"It's fine, I'm pretty sure Mike drove it home, he already put our guitars in there, so he probably knows we left. When you were hugging me he waved goodbye." Billie assured, and pulled me into the bus, paying for me, and taking us to the back.

•••

That bus ride from Berkeley took a lot longer to get home than it did to get there. When we finally did make it home, it was 11:45, just 15 minutes before my curfew. But before we had actually made it home, we stopped at Billie's house, and he gave me the weed deodorizer, or whatever he called it. Although it covered up the smell, it wouldn't completely come off until I showered and brushed my teeth, but it was enough so my parents wouldn't notice.
Billie and I walked to my house from his, and he was humming the whole time.
"What're you humming?" I asked, getting curious.
"Ah, nothing. Just a tune I'm thinking of." He smiled again and continued humming. He hummed all the way to my front door, where we both stopped.
"Scar, I had an awesome time with you tonight. Despite the whole almost going to jail thing, but thanks for coming to my show, and liking it." I nodded, and kissed him on the cheek, knowing my parents were probably spying on me through the front door's peephole. I quickly whispered in his ear,
"See you tomorrow." The look on his face was surprised. I winked at him, and opened the door to my house, stepping inside.