Part 16

*BILLIE'S POV*

Fuck my head hurts. I didn't want to open my eyes this morning, because I knew that I would be looking right into the sun. I rolled over, away from the window, and reached for Scar. She wasn't there. I didn't think anything of it. With the time she's been living with my family and I, she's been great. Always got up earlier than I, took a shower, then she'd ear breakfast with my mom. She is absolutely amazing. I love her so much.
I finally pulled the covers over my head and attempted to open my eyes. It was nice under here, but I'd have to get up sooner or later. I pulled the covers back, and my head was scorched with pain. Hell, I was so fucked up last night, I didn't remember a thing. The last thing I kinda remembered was talking to Charlie about buying more weed, but then I was handed more beer. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that Scar took me home. She knew last night would get pretty crazy, but she was good about things like that. I sat up out of bed and walked into the living room. No one was there. Strange; usually everybody was in there, laughing, eating. I walked into Mom's room. She wasn't there either. Mike wasn't in his room, and Scar wasn't in the bathroom. What the fuck? Where did they all go? I walked outside, and my vision blacked from my hangover. No one was on the porch, and Mom's car was gone.
I jumped when the phone rang. I went back inside and picked it up.
"Hello?"
"Billie..." it was Blake.
"Hey, what's up?" I asked casually.
"Billie, come to the hospital - now, okay? I can't tell you what's going on right now, but I'll explain when you get here. Your mom and Mike are here... please, just come."
Panic settled in my chest.
"Yeah, sure Blake, I - I'll be there soon." I hung up.
What the fuck is going on? Why is everyone at the hospital?? I got dressed, grabbed my keys, and a glass of water and went out the door.

•••

When I arrived at the hospital, Mike, Blake, and my mother were in the lobby, but Scar was missing. Blake was crying, she had a box of tissues in her lap. Mike was gently trying to console her. Mom saw me first, and she ran over to me.
"Oh, Billie Joe..." she started to cry, "it's Scarlett..." my heart dropped into my stomach. My legs started to give.
"What happened, Mom? What's wrong with her?" I asked, barely able to speak.
Mom took a deep breath.
"Last night, after the party..." she struggled, "I guess you and Scarlett had gotten in a fight. She had asked Mike to take you home, and he did." My vision started to blur, it was coming back to me, only slightly. I remember her trying to get me to go home... agh fuck... then she was walking away...
Mom continued.
"She took a taxi home. She was almost here when... the train..." tears were in my eyes.
"Billie, the train hit the taxi. It hit the front end, only by a little, but it was still enough to kill the driver, and just barely kill Scarlett. She's in ICU now... she's got broken bones, and she had internal bleeding... the doctors have it under control but... they're still keeping an eye on her. She could have died if Mike didn't go back to look for her. He was the one to call 911..." Mom was crying now. I walked past her, and sat in one of the lobby chairs. My whole world was shattered.
I sat in that lobby chair for hours, waiting for the clear. To see if Scar was gonna be okay. The docs came in an hour or so ago, and said that she was still unconscious, but they've got her bleeding under control. Her face is badly bruised, and she has a broken leg, a broken wrist, and a few broken ribs. It's a good thing she was wearing her seatbelt, otherwise she'd be dead.
More time passed. It was about 4 o'clock now. I had walked the whole hospital about five times. Mike took Blake home, and then him and Ollie went to go get some stuff to eat. I wasn't hungry. I couldn't eat. Mike told me... everything. He told me that I had told Scar that is dropped out, not knowing I was talking to her. I also called her annoying, and dramatic. I didn't even know I was saying these things! And the only thing that was true, was that I was dropping out. But Mike had told me that had hurt her worse than anything. I don't know why I wanted to drop out... school just waste for me. I never fit in, and my band was my top priority. I was going to tell her... when I had to. But now she's hurt. Really bad. Because of me.
I was sitting in the same lobby chair when someone came up and stood right in front of me.
"Mr. Armstrong," I looked up. It was the doctor.
"Your friend Scarlett Black is stable, still unconscious, but she will be completely fine, at least, once her bones heal. Since you're the only one here, wood you like to see her?" Said Doc.
I couldn't speak. I swallowed, and nodded.
"Come with me then." He motioned towards the recovery room.
I stood up, suddenly feeling dizzy.
Doc and I walked through the maze of the hospital when we reached a door. There was a tag on it, it read: "Scarlett Black" in bold letters. Doc opened the door, and I walked in.
What I saw, took my breath away.
It was Scarlett. She was laying in the hospital bed. The first thing I saw was her right leg suspended in the air, a cast around her shin. Then I saw her arms; there was a cast around her right wrist. Her face was bruised. She had purply blue marks on her chin, her nose, and her forehead. My breathing became irregular.
I did this. I did this. I did this! My mind was racing with panic. I couldn't breath. I ran out of the room, my vision blacked. I heard someone ask me if I was alright. My vision cleared.
It was a nurse. I broke down. Tears welled up in my eyes.
"Sir? Would you like some water?" She asked.
"I- I can't do this." I breathed out grabbing fistfuls of my hair.
I started panting, tears ran down my cheeks.
I ran through the maze of the hallway, into the lobby, and right into Mike. He ran to me. He hugged me. I hugged him back, and for the first time today, I sobbed.