The Honeymoon

Are we really doing this?”, I ask, suddenly feeling like this was stupid.

“Yes, if not now when?”

I turn to him, “We could wait until after you’re elected. Not give them any dirt.”

“I would rather have you than anything else,” he says, slipping a white pocket square into his suit.

I go silent at his comment and attempt to tie my tye. I usually can, but my hands are shaking and my eyes go out of focus. Achilles sees my struggling, and comes over to me. “I love you,” he says, tying it himself. “I love you,” he says ruffling my hair. “ I love you,” he says grabbing my head in his hands and pulling me nose to nose.

“I love you too,” I say closing the gap.

Minutes later, Achilles leads us out the door and to his car. The drive there was quiet. My mind was spinning. Achilles was going to marry me, Achilles wanted to marry me. It was going to be official. And that his first thought before facing his mother was, I need to marry Patroclus first? I love him, I really do. But I couldn’t help but think about what this would do when we’re up against Paris’s party-

My thoughts were interrupted by Achilles informing me we arrived. He exits the car. And I unbuckle and put my hand to the door. Was this feeling excitement or a sense of doom? Achilles opens my door before i can back out. We were doing it.

We are signing papers in a blur. But before I know it I have his last name and am kissing him. And kissing him, and I could taste his chapstick and making sounds that were probably very inappropriate for a courthouse. And then were in his apartment, and all is well. I feel drunk and happy all at once.

____________________________________________________________________________

All too soon, its the next day. We wear matching rings to the diner. It works perfectly to fiddle with.  When we enter the place, there are only two other people. Both sitting in a corner together. Achilles freezes, but grabs my hand and continues to them regardless. I lean into him, “We don’t have to do this,” I whisper, ‘We can always leave. “ He shrugs, wraps his arm around my shoulders. 

“Achilles, its so good to see you. How are you doing?” his mother exclaims before looking at me in disgusts.

“Good. So what is this about?” he says shortly.

“ I’m sorry,” the other girl steps in.

“This is Deidamia” Achilles mother explains. Achilles looks askance.“ We have some things to discuss.”

“Like what?”
Deidamia stands up, revealing what appears to be a pregnant belly. Gasps come from me and Achilles. “It isn’t…” Achilles starts.

“ It has to be,” she states. Cold rage boils beneath my skin.

‘ I dont want anything to do with it or you!” He says barely maintaining composure.

“Its your child!”

“No”

“I’ll sue, I’ll ruin your whole fucking career.”

“Now now. Lets not get too excited. Achilles, you know what scripture says, its your responsibility to marry her,” his mother says calmly.

“No its not. Isn’t she supposed to gouge her eyes out or something then too? And its your fault. If anything, its you twos child. And I’m married already!”

“Don’t blame me, I was trying to fix you. You were supposed to be happy about this! And who are you married to? This gold digging low life?”

“We’re leaving,” he says.

‘Wait what about me and the child. I’ll sue!”

“No, Deidamia. I’ll pay, you can stay with me, “ his mother says to the screeching girl as me and Achilles walk out.

The drive home is silent. He puts his hand on my knee. This was not what I wanted our honeymoon to be like.