Chapter 10

Kid's POV

"You should eat something or you'll be sick," Arachne sat down next to me holding a plate of food along with a glass of water. I sat up and allowed her to put the plate in my lap. She handed me the glass and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and went over to open the blinds.

I watched her as she busied herself with cleaning. She looked up at me and smiled. Is it bad that I find that smile beautiful? I smiled back at her, "Eat dear."

I nodded and started to eat. This is blissful.

Maka's POV

After checking in with Lord Death and making sure we had everything, we crammed ourselves into the tiny car that we came in. Because of the extra two people and their luggage, we had to play and adult version of Tetris with our bags and people. In the end, Tsubaki was driving again and Mama sat next to her with Kid's spirit in her lap. Liz, Mai, and I were in the backseat, while Patty, BlackStar, and Soul were stuck in the back complaining.

We were on our way to the airport and we were all nervous because things seemed perfectly fine, which worried us. Mai figured that Arachne would at least try to spy on us, but she didn't feel any magic in use, or any souls that seemed out of the ordinary.

"I need a pit stop, guys," Soul whined from the trunk. We all sighed. Tsubaki pulled over into a gas station after a few more miles. We all decided to get out and stretch for a bit. Everyone was out and about so I went inside the gas station's store area to look for a drink.

I felt a child holding onto my leg. I looked down and saw the child version of Kid. God, he's so cute! I crouched down next to him, "Are you thirsty too?" He nodded his head up and down. "How about letting me help you find something." He nodded again and allowed me to pick him up in my arms.

I carried him over to the drinks and let him pick something out. He helped carry the drinks over to the cashier. With Kid still in my arms, I walked outside towards the car, when an older man bumped into me and grabbed my arm that wasn't holding Kid, "Hey-"

"Maka watch out!" I ducked and covered Kid as Liz started to shoot the man who grabbed me. As Liz was shooting him, he started to morph into a kishin. "Maka! Get in the car!" I looked up to see Soul running towards the car. Kid started to cry in my arms. I got up and ran for the car, the kishin close on my tail.

I jumped in the trunk of the car and Mai shut the door just as the kishin attacked. My mom hit the gas and drove. The kishin wasn't too far behind when it stopped following us. "Why did it stop?" BlackStar asked.

"It's a territorial kishin. They have certain area that they hunt for souls in. That one was particularly powerful and new to the area," Mama looked at us through the mirror. "Everyone here?"

We looked around to check. I checked people off in my head. Tsubaki, BlackStar, Liz, Patty, Soul, Kid's spirit, Mama and Mai. "We have everyone including a crying, child version of Kid," BlackStar looked at me wit an annoyed look, "Mind tryin to shut him up. It's getting annoying!!!"

I sighed and transferred my attention to cheering Kid up, but nothing seemed to work. "What do I do? Everything I've done just made it worse!"

Mama looked back at me and handed me a smallish, compact mirror, "Try calling Lord Death and ask him what he did to calm Kid down when he was younger."

I took the mirror and called Lord Death, "Lord Death you there?"

"Hello. How's it going? What's with all the noise?" I showed him Kid and told him about everything Mai told us about, but a shortened version.

"So I was hoping you could tell me what you used to do to calm him down as a child," I smiled sheepishly from Lord Death to Kid.

He thought for a moment, "Well, Kiddo's mother would sing to him to get him to fall asleep."

"OK. Thanks Lord Death!" He said his goodbyes and left. "So who's gonna sing to him?" I asked looking around to my friends.

I sighed, "C'mon guys. I can't sing even if my life depended on it!"

"I'll try."

We all looked at Mai who sat next to me, "You sure?" She nodded her head and started to sing 'Come Little Children'. Halfway through the song, Kid was fast asleep in my arms and he stayed asleep long enough to get to the airport and on the plane back to Seattle.

A/N: Done with this chapter. I'm hoping to finish this book before school starts up but I seem to take forever typing one chapter.... Oh well.