1.04 Magic

Starla's bad mood followed her for the rest of the day, throughout her other classes. Even Ashleigh's downfall did little to assuage her. By the time magic class came around, she really needed it.

Starla loved fighting, and loved literature (when she wasn't being roasted), but magic class was her favorite. It was her last class of the day, and it was the only class where she was the only student.

"Good evening, Miss Starla," her instructor, Mr. Cristofir said. "How are you today?" The room was dim and full of candles.

"Good evening, Mr. Cristofir, not bad, and you?" she said, already feeling so much better just by being here.

"Let's warm up with a little meditation," Mr. Cristofir said. "Go ahead and sit down, and close your eyes when you're ready." She did.

"Listen to this bell until you can't anymore," he said, and a warm ringing sound filled the air, then faded. Starla breathed in the scent of candles. "I want you to get as comfortable as possible. Let go of all the worries of today; leave them at the door. Press into the ground with about five percent of your strength, just to feel it's there. Pay attention to how your body connects with the pillow beneath you." It went on like that for a while.

"Let's connect with your inner ice magic now," Mr. Cristofir said. "Imagine you're on a snowy plain, white in every direction." Starla did imagine it. Mr. Cristofir's voice faded, and there she was, on that snowy plain. She could see the stars and the moon. She felt the ice in her blood and in her fingertips.

She felt safe here. She laid down on the snow and stared up at the starry sky.

And then it was over.

"How did that feel today?" Mr. Cristofer asked.

"Good! I really connected to my inner magic this time," she answered enthusiastically, as she always did.

"Wonderful, Miss Starla. You're always such a great student. And perhaps next time we'll get some practical application, how does that sound?" he responded warmly, like he always did.

"Of course, maybe next time," she said, returning his warm smile.