1.08 Fairy Soiree

Starla's birthday ball was perfect. The ballroom had been transformed into a magical fairy soirée. Glittering butterfly wings and soft petals dusted the tables, and there were soft lights everywhere. The air was fragrant with flowers and exquisite food. Starla had not seen a true spring in years, but it felt like spring. The turnout was good as well, a sea of guests in golds, greens, and baby blues.

The moment Starla's golden sandal heels clicked across the cool marble, she was the star of the show. She caught a glimpse of herself in the reflection of the window. Her flowing gown was layered with gossamer fabric in sky blue, pink, and silver, and her eyeshadow was lavender. She dripped with glittering gold, from the butterflies woven into her tumbling moon-white hair, to the heavy gold-encrusted crystal necklace hugging her neck, to the delicate hand bracelet that brought attention to her long, golden nails. The center piece of her outfit, though, was the pair of shimmering golden wings sprouting from back.

In short, she felt like a fairy princess.

The night was a blur as she soaked in the attention of guests fawning over her dress, danced with her cousins, and ate so much food she thought she would burst.

Later on in the night, when her cousins were distracted by an attractive group of young nobles, Starla found a quieter corner to idly eat from a cheese plate. That's where Aunt Crystallia found her. She wore a silk maroon dress, with a matching lipstick and eyeshadow. She had wings as well, though less extravagant. Starla smiled. Her aunt was always runner-up in ball outfits.

"Happy birthday, dear," Aunt Crystallia said, taking a seat next to her. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks, Auntie, you do too," Starla said. She would've leaned her head against her aunt's shoulder, but she didn't want to mess up her hair. So, she took her aunt's hand instead.

"What's got you down?" Aunt Crystallia asked. Starla blinked.

"Nothing, everything's perfect," she said, confused.

"I noticed you looking around for someone the whole night," her aunt said gently, squeezing her hand.

"I suppose I thought my father would make an appearance, if only for a few minutes," she admitted. "I know he hates balls, but..." She trailed off, then brightened. "But everything's perfect. The food is perfect. The decor is perfect. The lights— have you seen the lights, Auntie? They are just beautiful."

"I did see them," her aunt smiled. "The palace workers really outdid themselves this time. I feel like I really am in that one story you were crazy about when you were younger that you made me read all the time."

"Wings of Jade?" Starla smiled. "That was exactly my inspiration. You're the first person to notice that." And like that, the subject of missing fathers vanished, and they were talking about magic and stories instead.

Starla's birthday ball was perfect.

Starla's birthday ball was perfect. That is, until little Miss Cinderetta decided to ruin it.