1.09 Party's Over

It was only a few moments after Cinderetta had been dealt with before Starla's cousins, who were not-so-subtly trailing after her, started speaking in hushed but passionate voices.

"Cinderetta is crazy for saying all of those things," Riv said from behind her. "That was just absolutely uncalled for."

"And on your birthday too," Poppy-Anne added angrily. "Everyone knows Queen Frostine—may she rest in peace—was an absolute saint. She loved your father. She would never, ever—" Starla stopped abruptly, and her cousins narrowly dodged colliding into her back.

"Poppy, Riv... just... stop," Starla said, closing her eyes and constructing a placid smile across her face.

"But Starla—" Poppy protested, still fuming.

"I said stop," Starla said again more firmly, turning to face them. She spoke pleasantly and calmly, very aware that so many eyes were on her, scrutinizing her for a reaction. She lowered her voice so only her cousins could hear her. "I don't want to think about magic. I don't want to think about my mom. And I especially don't want to think about my dad, who couldn't even bother to show up on my fucking birthday. Got it?" She inspected her nails with forced boredom. She knew the crowd wanted her to have a meltdown, and she wasn't going to give it to them.

"Starla, I know you're trying to play it cool," Poppy said, touching her arm. "But it's OK to be upset you know. We can talk about it."

"I am having such a wonderful birthday," Starla answered brightly, almost threateningly, gliding out of Poppy's touch. "Isn't this cake lovely? Mmm..." She made a show of taking another slice of cake.

"Yes," Poppy said faintly, still looking unconvinced. "It is quite good." She and Riv looked unhappy, but they complied with her wish to not make this a big deal.

Which meant, Starla's birthday could go back to being perfect! Everything glittered. There was food and laughter. There was everything she could ever ask for, right here.

Starla wandered around her party, never lingering in any group of people for too long. She danced for a bit, then had some glassy conversations with some nobles, and then had a bit more food, even though she wasn't hungry anymore. Her cousins followed her, even though she pointedly ignored their concerned looks.

Eventually, the night came to a close, and guests trickled out. Starla thanked people and finally made her graceful exit. She took one last look at the beautiful ballroom, and felt... nothing. As she was looking back, she caught her cousins' eyes. They spotted her and marched across the room.

She tried to pretend she hadn't seen them, making a quick exit up the stairs.

"Starla," Poppy called after her. Starla quickened her gait. However, her cousins caught up to her right before she got to her room. They cornered her in the hallway.

"I am quite tired," Starla said. "So, please make this quick."

"We just wanted to make sure you're OK," Riv said, exchanging a worried glance with his sister.

"Why would I not be OK?" Starla said a little more dismissively than necessary. "People say horrible things all the time. There's nothing to worry about."

"People say horrible things all the time and it's not OK," Poppy insisted crossly. "There's no one around now, Starla. You don't have to pretend with us."

"We just want to say we're here for you is all," Riv said as Starla edged away from them, toward her bedroom door. "If you ever wanna talk about it."

"There is nothing to talk about," Starla said firmly, pausing in front of her bedroom door with her hand over the handle. She felt a tiny bit bad for leaving them hanging, so she added, "I appreciate your concern though. Good night, cousins." Before they could respond, she opened her door and disappeared inside, closing the world out as her cousins' opened their mouths in protest. She heard a frustrated sigh, a "Come on, P, let's go," then the sounds of footsteps walking away.