2.19 Wolf Teeth

You won't need to be a hero. You won't need to be a princess. You just need to be you.

As for the little girl who will be the Ice Princess in your place... Well, I'm giving her a life. She'll never have to worry about money or comfort. She'll have a father, even if she doesn't have a mother. She'll have my sister and her wife. She'll have family, powerful family.

I'm doing the right thing. I'm a good person.

Right?

I love you so, so much.

Your mother

Starla's roared in pain as the wolf claws ripped through the fabric and sunk into her shoulders. She was going to die. She was going to—

The wolf's head jerked sideways, as if slammed by a sudden force. Stunned, Starla scrambled out from beneath it as it collapsed on top of her. Looking up, she saw Rayvin standing a few feet away from her, hand extended. She traced the trajectory of his hand to the wolf's skull which... Starla blanched as she realized the wolf had a frozen dagger that had ripped straight through its skull. When had Rayvin learned to do that?

Apparently not long ago, given how stunned he looked.

Instinct immediately kicked in. Starla got to her feet, unsheathing her dagger and ignoring the screaming pain in her shoulders. More wolves were coming.

At first, she was the only one in action, protecting both herself and Rayvin. After the initial surge of instinct that had allowed him to save her moments from death, he seemed quite frozen in place, unsure what to do. Which was fine. This was Starla's expertise anyway. She became a whirlwind of blade and white hair. It was dark, which made it hard to see. But it wasn't anything she couldn't handle. Nothing she hadn't done before.

But when there were only a few wolves left, Rayvin was back in motion again, and he and Starla protected each other. He didn't attempt to land another ice dagger, which Starla was grateful for. The combat was too tight to do a long-ranged attack like that, and Rayvin didn't seem that confident about his aim anyway. He'd switched tactics to be more defensive and utility-focused. He created shields of ice to protect Starla from attack, as well as created an icy floor beneath the paws of the wolves to make them slip. He shot blasts of frost at them to startle them and burn their eyes if he got lucky with his aim.

They made a good team, the two of them.

By the time Master Severest had rushed over to their campsite holding a lantern, all the wolves were dead. It was over.

Rayvin turned to Starla, panting.

"Are you OK?" he asked, peering at her in the dark. She couldn't quite make out his expression, but she could hear worry in his voice. She shrugged away from him, startled and confused by his sudden concern for her after a month of ignoring her.

"Princess Rayna, are you alright?" Master Severest asked once he'd reached them. "I am so sorry. This won't happen again."

"I'm fine, Master Severest—" Rayvin began.

"Oh good," Master Severest said, sounding relieved.

"—but Starla's hurt," Rayvin finished, sounding urgent.

"I can speak for myself, thanks," Starla said a little more sharply than she'd meant, and immediately regretted it. She couldn't see Rayvin's expression, but she could imagine him frowning at her. "Sorry. I'm just. In pain." She was annoyed that Master Severest was only worried that the precious "princess" wasn't hurt. Starla felt guilty as soon as she thought that. Then she felt confused. Then she felt PAIN because oh my god the scratches were really starting to sting now.