3.11 Almost Date

"It's kind of funny how everyone here thinks we're a couple," Starla commented.

"What's funny about it?" Rayvin asked seriously.

"Well, not FUNNY," Starla backpedaled, worried she'd said something wrong. "Just, interesting. That when cishets see a boy and a girl, they just assume they must be in love. That's all."

"Only joking," Rayvin said, smiling lazily. "I knew what you meant."

"I knew you were joking," Starla grumbled, feeling flustered. She changed the subject. "So, those hot springs you mentioned? Are we going?"

"You can go," Rayvin said. "I'll probably just sponge off once you leave."

"What?" Starla said. Maybe he was joking again?

"I just don't want people to see more of me and my body than I bargained for," Rayvin explained. "It's no big deal, really."

"You are not 'sponging off,'" Starla said, offended by the very idea that Rayvin would have to suffer a cold, uncomfortable experience when there were hot springs here. "How about this. Let's go later tonight. If there's no one there, then we can go together. If people are there, then you can do your sponge bath if you must."

"Hmm... Deal," Rayvin said. "What are we going to do in the meantime?"

"Let's go shopping," Starla said. "We're stuck here, so we might as well explore and enjoy ourselves. Fox said there are some cute stores around here that tourists normally love."

"I don't know about you, but I didn't think to carry a lot of money on me for this journey," Rayvin said.

"I didn't either," Starla said. "Window shopping is still shopping. C'mon. Let's go." Rayvin gave in and followed her out of the room. Most of the family was gathered in the living room.

"We're going to explore town," Starla announced.

"Have fun, the door will be unlocked when you're back," the father said. The family waved. Starla and Rayvin exited through the basement door, which opened into an earthy underground tunnel. It was cold out here. Starla fixed her scarf more tightly around her neck. The tunnels were lined with pretty lights. Up close, Starla realized they were candles in small colored bulbs.

They walked around. People were baffled but delighted to see them. News had already traveled fast around the town about a pair of outsiders tumbling in through the ceiling last night. Most people didn't expect them to have much money and were content just to show off their wares to the two.

They passed vendors selling hot food and drinks. Starla purchased a dark, hot drink for the two of them to share. It was sweet and tangy, like some sort of squeezed fruit, with a hint of cinnamon. Steam curled in the air.

"It's good," Starla said. "Mm?" She passed it to Rayvin, and he took took a sip. He made a face and passed it back to her.

"Not a fan of sour," he said, wiping his mouth.

"What? It's not sour?" Starla said.

"That is sour," Rayvin grimaced. "Let's try something else." He bought a doughy treat covered in sugar. Rayvin tore off a piece and held it out in front of her lips. Was he trying to feed her? She refused to embarrass herself a second time.

"Give it a try," he said. "Yes, I'm feeding you. Don't give me that look." Starla glared at him, then opened her mouth and let him feed her a piece. It was good. Very good.

"Hm, it's OK," Starla said.

"You are such a liar," Rayvin snorted. "You totally love it."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Starla said. "Look, they're selling handmade candles over there. You like candles, don't you?"

"I do; I like burning them while I write," Rayvin said, as if Starla didn't already know that. She'd seen him do it a hundred times.

"Pick one out, I'll buy it for you," Starla said. "I have a little money on me." Rayvin looked surprised.

"We don't have space to carry anything extra," he said.

"I'll carry it," Starla said. "Don't worry about it. Ooh, this one's nice, isn't it? 'Vanilla Moonbeam.' Mmm."

"You don't have to do this," Rayvin said. "Starla..."

"Pick one, or I'll pick one for you," Starla said. "I'll buy it for myself and give it to you later if you change your mind. Ooh! This one's looks interesting too. 'Enchanted Elderberry.'" Rayvin sighed dramatically.

"Ok, fine," he said. "Let me see that." He plucked the candle from her hands and sniffed it.

"Oh, absolutely not," he said. Starla glanced at the candlemaker, hoping the elderly lady wasn't offended, but she only seemed fascinated to watch them.

"Too fruity?" Starla joked. "I didn't think that was a problem for you."

"I like my fruit edible," Rayvin said. "Not in scented candles." Starla refrained from making a dirty joke, but Rayvin caught her mischievous look and punched her in the arm. Well, tried to. She slid out of the way.

Rayvin continued looking at the candles, finally settling on a slender white one with gold sparkles near the bottom. It wouldn't have been Starla's top choice out of all the beautiful options, but it did look and smell nice.

"That's your choice?" Starla said, eyeing it up and down.

"That's my choice," Rayvin said. Starla paid and had it wrapped.

"Consider this an early gift from me to you for when you finish your novel," Starla said.

"Thanks, Starla," Rayvin smiled.