Chapter 22

Hi :)

I decided to update early this week because I might not be able to update when I usually do.

So, enjoy the chapter!

Sophie stared blankly at the stained glass walls of Foxifre. She had never thought that she would come back to this place. Her fingers touched the glass walls,hot from the sunlight it burned Sophie's fingertips. But Sophie was not bothered by the pain, she was just glad that she had proof that this wasn't all a dream.

Foxfire was one of the last places Sophie expected to feel any sort of longing to come back.But after she had agreed to join the Neverseen, she suddenly missed her normal life. She had never considered her life to be normal. She was the Moonlark afterall, being a freak was her specialty. Nevertheless, joining the Neverseen somehow made her life before seem so happy. All she wished was to have her life before the betrayal back.

But that was impossible.

"You're going to burn your fingerprints if you keep touching the glass like that." A voice behind her told Sophie.

Sophie stopped touching the glass as she turned around to face the girl behind her. Her figure was slender and tall like an athlete. She had her black hair made into a long braid. Her tanned skin highlighted her deep blue eyes, the darkest blue Sophie had ever seen. They looked like the galaxy, dark and scary but it still had a shimmering glint to it.

The girl, who introduced herself to be Jewels, pulled out an arrow from her quiver and started to polish it with her Neverseen cloak.

Sophie was wearing a similar one. She eyed the Neverseen symbol printed onto the fabric on her sleeve. She suddenly felt uneasy.

After she had accepted Alvar's offer to join the Neverseen in trade of the information of the Vacker Legacy, she had been sent to Foxfire with Jewels. Alvar gave her a flashlight as he told her to flash it into a specific mirror in the school. He told her that Jewels will help her find it, along with a speech telling her to not worry about getting caught by any elves as today was Saturday.Jewels put the arrow back into her quiver as her gaze shifted to Sophie. Her eyes narrowed as if Sophie had words written over her face. Feeling self conscious, Sophie suddenly became interested in fidgeting with her hands.

"You're an overthinker, aren't you?" Jewels asked.

"There's a lot to think about when you just joined an illegal organization." Sophie answered.Jewel's gaze softened as if she knew what Sophie was going through. "I know how that feels. I was also terribly overthinking when I first joined."

Her dark blue eyes glittered as she recalled her memories. "Overthinking doesn't help, Sophie. You've already joined the organization, there is no going back. Rethinking about your decision over and over again will just make you doubt yourself more."

Sophie's eyes got misty as Jewel's sweet words reached her ears. Jewels was the first elf in a long time to ever comfort Sophie. The last time had been with Grady, her adoptive father who tried to convince her that Sandor who had nearly sacrificed his life for her was still alive. Sophie wiped her tears with the back of her hand as she thought about her parents at Havenfield. She needed them right now more than ever.

"If you don't mind, can you tell me how you ended up here?" Jewels asked.

"You mean, you don't know?" Sophie asked suspiciously.

Jewels threw her hands to her back. "Geez, tone down the glare a bit will you? Gisela keeps her plan awfully secretive, she only tells me parts of it when she needs me. The woman has some serious trust issues if you ask me."