EMBRACE

In the hazy realm of dreams, Jake found himself standing in a familiar place—a place filled with warmth and love, where the gentle scent of his mother's perfume lingered in the air. Before him stood his mother, her smile radiant and unburdened, a beacon of comfort in the darkness that threatened to consume him.

"Mom..." Jake's voice was barely a whisper as he approached her, his heart heavy with longing and uncertainty. "Mom, did I survive?"

His mother's smile faltered for a moment, her eyes filled with an unspoken sadness. "Jake, you won't."

Confusion and fear gripped Jake's heart as his mother's words echoed in his mind. "What?" he whispered, his voice trembling with disbelief.

But his mother did not explain, only repeating his name in a haunting refrain that filled Jake with a sense of dread. Desperate to escape the suffocating weight of his mother's words, Jake covered his ears, a scream building in his throat until—

"Stop!"

With a jolt, Jake bolted upright in bed, his chest heaving as he struggled to catch his breath. The room was shrouded in darkness, the soft glow of moonlight casting eerie shadows across the walls. Disoriented and shaken, Jake looked around, his eyes searching for something—anything—to anchor him to reality.

And then he saw Sunghoon, his expression furrowed with concern as he watched Jake with a mixture of confusion and empathy. Jake's panic attack was in full force, his body trembling uncontrollably as tears streamed down his cheeks.

Sunghoon hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to comfort his distressed roommate. But as Jake's trembling worsened, Sunghoon's instincts kicked in, propelling him forward despite his uncertainty.

"Should... should I call Nurse Emily?" Sunghoon's voice was hesitant, his concern evident as he watched Jake's distress unfold.

Jake shook his head, the panic tightening its grip on his chest as he struggled to find his voice. Tears continued to flow freely, his fists clenching and unclenching as he fought to regain control.

Seeing Jake's anguish, Sunghoon felt a pang of helplessness wash over him. He had never been good at comforting others, but in that moment, he knew he had to try.

Sunghoon stood up from his bed and approached Jake slowly, his heart pounding with uncertainty. Jake's panicked state tugged at Sunghoon's own sense of discomfort, but he knew he couldn't just stand by and do nothing.

Jake was gasping for air, his fist tightening its grip on the mattress cover, and Sunghoon could see the torment etched on his face. With a deep breath, Sunghoon reached out tentatively, his hand hovering uncertainly over Jake's trembling form.

"Jake, it's okay," Sunghoon murmured softly, his voice a gentle reassurance amidst the turmoil. "I'm here."

Jake's tear-filled eyes met Sunghoon's gaze, and at that moment, a silent understanding passed between them. With a shaky breath, Jake nodded, silently acknowledging Sunghoon's offer of support.

Sunghoon gently placed his hand on Jake's back, his touch tentative yet comforting. Jake's trembling began to subside, his panicked breaths slowing to a steadier rhythm.

"Sunghoon, hug me, please, can you?" Jake's voice was barely a whisper, his vulnerability lay bare before his roommate.

Sunghoon hesitated for a moment, uncertainty flickering in his eyes. But then, with a silent nod, he spread his arms wide, offering Jake the comfort he so desperately needed.

With a trembling breath, Jake launched himself into Sunghoon's embrace, burying his face in the warmth of his chest. Sunghoon held him close, his awkwardness melting away in the face of Jake's need.

As they stood there, locked in a tight embrace, the weight of Jake's panic began to lift, replaced by a sense of solace and reassurance. And in that moment of shared vulnerability, Jake and Sunghoon discovered that sometimes, the greatest comfort comes not from words or actions, but from the simple act of being there for one another.