AWAKENING

As the haze of panic began to dissipate, Jake found himself enveloped in the warmth of Sunghoon's embrace, the steady rhythm of his roommate's heartbeat a soothing balm to his frayed nerves. Slowly, the tremors that had wracked his body began to subside, replaced by a sense of calm and security that he hadn't felt in a long time.

But as Jake began to regain his bearings, he realized with a jolt that he was now lying on Sunghoon's bed, his arms still wrapped tightly around his roommate. Heat flooded his cheeks as he scrambled to disentangle himself, his heart pounding with embarrassment.

It was then that Nurse Emily chose to make her entrance, her teasing grin mirroring the mischievous twinkle in her eyes as she took in the scene before her.

"I see your two are getting closer," Nurse Emily remarked with a playful wink, her tone filled with amusement.

Jake felt his cheeks burn even hotter as he hastily retreated to his own bed, avoiding Sunghoon's gaze as he tried to ignore the teasing glint in Nurse Emily's eyes.

Sunghoon, however, remained stoic, his expression unreadable as he coolly brushed off Nurse Emily's observation.

"He just had a panic attack, so I was left with no choice but to accompany him," Sunghoon replied tersely, his tone devoid of warmth.

Nurse Emily chuckled softly, unfazed by Sunghoon's cold demeanor, as she handed them their breakfast trays and amenity kits.

"Alright, enjoy your breakfast, you two. And Jake, you know what to do if you're done eating. Just press the button beside your bed, and I'll come," Nurse Emily instructed before making her exit.

Once they were alone again, the awkward tension between Jake and Sunghoon hung heavy in the air, their earlier moment of vulnerability replaced by a palpable sense of discomfort.

Jake glanced at Sunghoon, who was eating his breakfast in silence, his demeanor as frosty as ever. Summoning his courage, Jake spoke up, his voice tentative yet sincere.

"Thank you, Sunghoon," Jake said, offering a small smile in an attempt to bridge the gap between them.

Sunghoon met Jake's gaze with a cold stare, his response terse and devoid of emotion as he nodded in acknowledgment.

Feeling the weight of Sunghoon's indifference, Jake sighed inwardly, realizing that their journey toward understanding and friendship would be far more challenging than he had initially anticipated. But despite the obstacles that lay ahead, Jake remained determined to break through Sunghoon's walls and forge a connection that transcended the boundaries of their shared hospital room.