FRAGILE HEARTS

Jake sat on his bed, surrounded by a set of old papers that appeared to have been torn out from a book. With a determined expression, he placed two chairs beside his bed and arranged the papers and scissors meticulously. Sunghoon observed Jake's actions with a frown, puzzled by his roommate's sudden burst of activity.

"Hey! Do you know how to make paper hearts?" Jake's voice brimmed with excitement as he approached Sunghoon.

"No," Sunghoon replied curtly, his tone chilly and dismissive.

Undeterred by Sunghoon's cold response, Jake pouted and took Sunghoon's hand, pulling him towards his bed. Sunghoon recoiled in surprise, his expression one of confusion and annoyance.

"What the hell?" Sunghoon exclaimed, his voice tinged with irritation as Jake urged him to sit on the chair.

"No," Sunghoon protested, but Jake persisted, his eyes wide with pleading.

"Please?" Jake's voice softened, his expression turning pleading as he gazed up at Sunghoon with puppy-like eyes.

Sunghoon sighed, relenting to Jake's persistence. He took a seat on the chair beside Jake's bed, albeit reluctantly, as they began their impromptu crafting session.

"Cut the paper into a square," With Jake's guidance, Sunghoon hesitantly wielded the scissors, cutting a square out of the paper with cautious precision. Despite his initial reluctance, he found himself drawn in by Jake's infectious enthusiasm, his movements becoming more fluid and confident as he followed Jake's instructions.

As they worked side by side, a sense of camaraderie began to bloom between them, bridging the gap that had once seemed insurmountable. Sunghoon couldn't help but feel a twinge of pride as he admired the paper heart he had crafted, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips in response to Jake's infectious joy.

But their moment of bonding was abruptly shattered when Sunghoon suddenly threw the paper heart he made away, making it fall on the ground. Sunghoon felt suddenly dizzy. Without a word, he dashed to the bathroom, leaving Jake bewildered and alarmed. Sunghoon then vomited in the bathroom and as he finished, he washed his mouth, feeling suddenly weak.

"A-are you alright?" Jake called out, his concern evident as he abandoned his paper heart and rushed to Sunghoon's side.

Sunghoon emerged from the bathroom moments later, his complexion ashen and his breathing labored. A wave of dizziness washed over him, his vision blurring as he struggled to remain upright.

Jake rushed to Sunghoon's aid, his heart pounding with fear as he supported his weakened roommate. But before he could react, Sunghoon's strength gave out, and he collapsed into Jake's arms, his body limp and unresponsive.

"Sunghoon!" Jake's voice trembled with panic as he struggled to hold up his unconscious roommate.

"H-hey! Wake up!" Jake's pleas fell on deaf ears as Sunghoon remained unconscious, his body growing ever more limp in Jake's grasp.

Frantic, Jake attempted to reach the button to call for Nurse Emily, but his efforts were in vain as he struggled to support Sunghoon's weight.

Thankfully, their luck turned as Doctor Yeon entered the room, his shock evident as he took in the sight of Jake and Sunghoon in distress. With swift efficiency, he called for more nurses, and they quickly moved to tend to Sunghoon's prone form.

As Jake watched on in horror, tears streamed down his face, his heart aching with guilt and helplessness. Nurse Emily approached him, her voice gentle as she offered reassurance amid chaos.

"It's okay, it's not your fault, alright? Sunghoon is suffering from a traumatic head injury," Nurse Emily explained, her words offering a small measure of comfort amidst the uncertainty.

Jake's gaze drifted to Sunghoon's pale, fragile form, his heart heavy with worry and regret. At that moment, he realized just how fragile life could be, and he vowed to stand by Sunghoon's side no matter what trials lay ahead.