HEALING

Sunghoon stirred from his slumber, his eyes fluttering open to the soft glow of the hospital room. The gentle hum of machines filled the air as he sat up, his gaze scanning the room for any sign of Jake. But to his surprise, his roommate was nowhere to be found.

"Where's..." Sunghoon's voice trailed off, a pang of unease gnawing at his heart. He hesitated for a moment before mustering the courage to ask the nurse. "Where's Jake?" Sunghoon's voice was tinged with concern as he turned to the nurse for answers.

The nurse glanced up from her task of adjusting Sunghoon's saline solution, her expression sympathetic as she met Sunghoon's gaze.

"He went out to get some fresh air. He was crying earlier," the nurse explained gently, her words sending a ripple of worry through Sunghoon's chest.

"Crying?" Sunghoon's brows furrowed in confusion, his mind racing to comprehend Jake's sudden emotional outburst.

"Yeah, he was panicking and didn't know what to do. He didn't know what to do earlier because he saw you getting weaker," the nurse elaborated, her tone filled with understanding.

Sunghoon's heart clenched at the thought of Jake's distress, a surge of guilt washing over him as he realized the impact of his condition on his roommate. Before he could dwell on his thoughts any longer, the door burst open, and Jake rushed into the room, his eyes red and swollen from crying.

"Sunghoon!" Jake's voice cracked with emotion as he crossed the room in a few strides, enveloping Sunghoon in a tight hug. Sunghoon was taken aback by Jake's sudden display of affection, but he found himself returning the embrace, feeling a sense of warmth and comfort wash over him in Jake's arms.

"I'm glad you're alright," Jake murmured, his voice thick with emotion as he pouted slightly, his hands cupping Sunghoon's cheeks tenderly.

Sunghoon's heart swelled with gratitude as he gazed into Jake's tear-streaked face, a silent acknowledgment of the bond that had formed between them in the face of adversity. But as Jake's tears continued to fall, Sunghoon's worry resurfaced, his concern for his roommate overriding his fears and uncertainties.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Sunghoon's voice was soft, his touch gentle as he pulled back slightly to look into Jake's eyes. "I was so... worried," Jake confessed, his voice trembling with emotion as he struggled to contain his tears. Sunghoon's heart ached at the sight of Jake's distress, his own eyes prickling with unshed tears as he reached out to comfort his roommate.

"I'm fine, Jake," Sunghoon reassured, his voice firm yet gentle as he brushed away Jake's tears. But Jake couldn't shake the guilt that weighed heavy on his heart, his words spilling out in a torrent of remorse and self-blame.

"I was trying so hard to hold you earlier. I didn't know what to do. I gave out all my strength to carry you. I tried to keep the balance of us. I wanted to help you so badly. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you to do that paper hearts with me. I—" Jake's voice faltered as he dissolved into tears once more, his shoulders shaking with the weight of his emotions.

Sunghoon's heart constricted with empathy as he pulled Jake back into a tight embrace, his arms offering solace and reassurance in the face of Jake's anguish.

"Shh," Sunghoon murmured soothingly, his hand gently patting Jake's back as he held him close. "It's not your fault, nor those paper hearts, Jake. I have an illness, that's why you should expect this to happen. Normally, Jake, I'm fine."

In that moment of shared vulnerability, Sunghoon and Jake found solace in each other's arms, their bond strengthened by the trials they had faced together. And as they clung to one another, they knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, they would face them together, united in their friendship and unwavering support for one another.