𝟑𝟏: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭 𝐈𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐲

"Stupid," I rasped, the word a punch straight to my gut

"Stupid," I rasped, the word a punch straight to my gut. I knew it. I owned it. My mistake, a colossal and catastrophic one, had ripped a gaping maw in our relationship.

The memory of her tear-filled eyes, the raw hurt etched on her face, clawed at me. How could I have been so blind, so utterly selfish? I'd taken her for granted, her love a shield I'd leaned on without realizing it was a precious gift.

Now, faced with the chilling reality of losing her, a fierce determination flared within me. I wouldn't just win her back; I'd earn it. I'd tear down the walls she'd built, expose the vulnerabilities I'd kept hidden, the insecurities that fueled my actions. It wouldn't be just apologies; it'd be a testament, a journey of change etched in action, proof of the earthquake that rumbled within me.

I straightened, a flicker of resolve to harden my gaze. This wasn't about empty promises or grand gestures. This was a long, arduous climb, each agonizing step a plea for her to still be waiting at the summit.

The afternoon sun slanted lazily through the dusty window, casting long shadows across the worn floorboards. I was curled up on the sofa, a half-finished cup of coffee balanced precariously on the rickety coffee table in front of me. A worn paperback lay forgotten in my lap, the words blurring before your eyes.

Suddenly, the shrill ring of my phone pierced the peaceful quiet. I fumbled for it, blinking away the sudden intrusion. It was an unknown number, but a flicker of recognition sparked in my gut. As I answered, a familiar, slightly grating voice filled your ear.

"Beta (child), it's Reekshita Maa. I'm here... and I need to talk to you about something."

The phone felt heavy in your hand. 

"Maa? Where are you?" I managed to ask, my voice tight.

There was a beat of uncomfortable silence on the other end. Then, her voice, low and laced with something you couldn't quite decipher, spoke again.

"That's what I need to talk to you about, beta. Come see me at the Old Riverside Cafe. We have a lot to discuss."

The line went dead, leaving you staring at the phone with a racing heart. Reekshita Maa's arrival felt like a storm cloud gathering on the horizon, a harbinger of unknown truths. I didn't know what she wanted, but a deep, unsettling feeling told me secrets were lurking beneath the surface, secrets I probably wasn't prepared to face. I took a deep, shaky breath, the weight of the unknown settling heavily on my shoulders. This conversation, I knew, would change everything.

I reached the mentioned cafe which was again close to the place I was living. The strange need to ask that question swelled up in my throat. Probably, she was not who I thought she was. 

"Settle down, Kabir." She said sitting on a table that was far from the main gate. As I looked across, there wasn't anyone in the cafe either. Just the cashier and he was also busy sleeping.