Epilogue: Adoption

A/N: After this there will be a short story about our dear mascot, Kazuha!

"Do you think Shino-san and her baby will be fine?"

"Who knows?"

After eating breakfast, [Name] paused and scowled, recalling the way Mononoke had grinned before passing away. When Murasaki eventually vanquishes the Mononoke, they exit the room, leaving Shino by herself. Fortunately, when [Name] examines her unborn kid, [Name] is relieved that her unborn child is doing well.

When Murasaki realizes this, he looks up from his meal. "Is something wrong, love?" Ask Murasaki, and [Name] simply shakes his head.

"Just wondering if we have any kids... Never mind, forgot what I had just stated." [Name] can't quite believe what's happened to him lately; he feels embarrassed and his cheeks get hot. When Murasaki realizes this, he laughs.

Murasaki pays the room after breakfast and they depart for their next excursion. However, [Name] would want to get some snacks so he can consume them while traveling. As he waits for Murasaki to make his purchase, he spots a boy with white hair who is intently staring at the snacks that Murasaki is about to purchase. [Name] chose to ask Murasaki to purchase more after becoming somewhat sympathetic to the boy.

"Wow, that is a lot. Do you wish to eat all of it?" When Murasaki asks, [Name] tilts his head, shakes his head, and mentions the boy with the pink hair who is behind them.

"That boy has been staring at this booth for a while and I thought, why not buy some for him...?" With a fleeting glance at the boy, Murasaki returns to the stall owner and places an additional order. After paying, Murasaki gave [Name] the extra one, and the aforementioned man hurried over to the white-haired child who had observed a stranger approaching him. "Hello there." The child was glaring at [Name], but all he could see was the food in his palm.

"I bought it for you here. Observe how long you stare at it."

The youngster takes a while to receive the snacks that [Name] carefully hands to him. [Name] is pleased that the boy is finally able to eat as she observes him eating contentedly. "What's your name, boy?" [Name] inquires, wishing to know the name of the destitute youngster abandoned in this town.

"I don't remember..."

[Name] blink.

Don't know his very own name? Man, I feel bad for this kid...

[Name] looks at his spouse, who is waiting for him, and fixes his gaze on him.

"Whatever you think, I don't like it, darling."

"Why not? Like, he doesn't have any family, he's alone..."

With a faint glance at the youngster who is still eating the snacks, [Name] is moved to adopt this destitute boy who is homeless. "Why can't we just take him with us? Kazuha can play with a friend at least." [Name] softly asked his husband, and the youngster might get interested in him because of the name 'Kazuha.'

"Kazuha? Who's that?"

The white cat meows sweetly as it emerges from Murasaki's kimono as if someone is calling for him. "So cute...!" The child yells with delight, glancing at [Name] and fixing his glittering eyes on the cat.

"C-Can I pet him...?"

Naturally, [Name] giggles as he takes the cat from his spouse.

"Yes, feel free to pet him. He's friendly." The child gently stroked Kazuha, and when the cat purred, the boy was prompted to continue petting the white cat.

"Surely you don't mean you want, to adopt this boy, right?"

"But Murasaki-san... He's alone in this town. Isn't that fine for him to stay here without a guardian...?"

Since Murasaki is a hunter and wants to avoid having a child become the target of a Mononoke attack, he is aware that it is risky to bring a youngster along.

But of course, leaving this poor boy alone will make him feel guilty.

And besides, see how [Name] begs, wants to adopt this child. Naturally, see how much joy Kazuha is having with the boy as he keeps rubbing his palm over the cat's head. Murasaki sighed, knowing he lost the argument.

"All right, he can accompany us. "Alright, we can bring him with us. BUT, if he wants to." Murasaki said and [Name] quickly glanced at the boy.

"Do you want to come with us?"

TO BE CONTINUE~

ZASHIKIWARASHI ARC: COMPLETED!

Mononoke © Yaeko Ninagawa

Reader © You

Others © Their owners

Book © Me