Chapter 8 • Undying Embers

◮ Tam's POV ◭

◮ Tam's POV ◭

Tam watched in horror as Fintan put up the fiery barrier. He glared daggers at Fintan.

"You're separated from your friends now. Nothing you can do about it!" Fintan taunted, gesturing at their horrified reactions.

They watched helplessly as Sophie faced them alone, gave them a sad look, sprinting away. Tam breathed a sigh of relief when Fintan missed.

Fintan scoffed at her friends. "Guess you're trapped here for the time being. Gethen, deal with the others while I go after her." His voice echoing as he went farther away.

Gethen sighed in frustration. "Once again, I have to deal with his mess." He turned from them, walking off.

"Where do you think you're going?" Tam said, intent on fighting him.

"To get backup," Gethen replied gruffly.

They huddled together, strategizing. "Guys, if we can put out the fire before he gets back, we can escape," Dex suggested, grinning.

"Okay, good plan... but how?" They stared glumly at the way out.

They attempted various methods to extinguish the blue flames, but Fintan must've created them differently, or they simply didn't have any water with them. I wish Linh was here... Tam thought about it, but then she realized she would get hurt.

Upon Gethen's return, they had made no progress. Behind him were two more cloaked Neverseen members. "Tide, put that fire out," Gethen commanded.

The shorter member on Gethen's left pulled water from the air and directed it across the flames. Before the group could react, the Neverseen members subdued them, tying their hands behind their backs. The sight of the hydrokinetic only reminded Tam of Linh.

"W-What are you gonna do with us?" Biana said, attempting to sound brave but failing.

From under his hood, Gethen grinned. "You shall see. Now move it!" The one Gethen called Tide jabbed Tam and started walking. The group moved in silence, with the occasional sigh from them trying to untie their bonds.

Dex couldn't take the silence any longer. "So... Tide, huh?" He didn't respond. "Okay... what about your codename?" He stared at the other member. Their hood shifted towards him.

Gethen noticed their conversation, if you could call it one. "Don't answer that."

As they reached an intersection, they paused momentarily. Tam noticed the other two members nodding in unison. Suspecting that Gethen had transmitted something to them, they proceeded left, while Gethen veered right.

"Why did he leave?" Tam asked, hoping for insight into their motives and intentions.

However, the response he received was curt and cryptic. "None of your business," the two members replied simultaneously.