two

Valli wore a pink and yellow langavoni (half saree), she had the prettiest Jasmine flowers in her hair

Valli wore a pink and yellow langavoni (half saree), she had the prettiest Jasmine flowers in her hair. She put on some really light make up, and khol under her eyes. Her mother's jewellery had adorned her and she sat quietly in the chair, waiting to see what would happen next.

Usually, at such events - the relatives are invited, there would be an uproar. However, they didn't get along her father's side very well, and there weren't very many people who lived close by on her mother's side. Plus, her parents were all that mattered to her.

As the commotion outside grew, Valli's heart started pounding in her chest. She was worried and scared, didn't exactly know what about, but she was scared. Her palm were sweating and she felt her head spin. She had not come to terms with this entire thing today, how could this be happening?

"Kumud..." Her mother's voice came, she gulped and started as the door opened.

"Come. They're here." She said, fetching her.

"Amma..." Valli whimpered in anxiety.

"Everything will be okay, come." Her mother assured her. She stood up, but became lightheaded. Atharva mama, she called him mama with love and respect when she was young. Would she have to call him by name now? She groaned, walking out with her. But her mother didn't let her reach the hall, instead, she was pushed to walk into the kitchen and was handed the tray with hot coffee.

"Serve it to Atharva first." Her mother told her.

"No. I won't. Ayyagaru is the eldest here. Just because you want Atharva to say yes to me... I won't..." She argued.

"Okay okay..." Her mother looked at her bewildered. This girl was shy, timid and scared - but feisty when she wanted to be.

"Smile a little." She muttered as she led her out.

Atharva sat awkwardly next to his father, he was received with hugs and hearty welcomes into the home. And the conversation right now revolved around the business that Atharva ran, he wasn't very talkative in general. But now, he was nervous, unsure, worried and was in anticipation - so he hardly exchanged a few words.

"There she is!" He heard Valli's father said loudly with joy in his voice. Atharva didn't want to look up, he was questioning his entire existence. How could he marry this girl? Just how? And how did this idiot agree to meet him?

What brought him out of his own thoughts were the sound of chimes from anklets. The beautiful sound of chimes, it made his heart pound in his chest. He looked up, tilting his head to the side to see the girl who was to be allied with him. His throat ran dry seeing her.

She was far far different from how she looked back then. The chubby little Valli who got even beatings with a scale from him - she was still short, but taller than she used to be, elegant, so beautiful and lovely. His eyes scanned her unknowingly, he wet his lips to moisten up the dryness. She was wearing a half saree that was so classy and fit her enticingly too well.