eighteen

Hello my majiggiejoes. Here's the next chapter. Tell me how you like it, tell me what you like, tell me what you don't - especially with the last part. See you guys around. Bye bye bye

******

The energy and tension in the Reddy household was extremely thick. Valli sat in between her parents in a couch opposite to the two seater that Atharva and his father sat in. Valli wouldn't look up at him or meet his eyes, her fingers fiddled and played with each other. There was this meekness in her eyes, and it bothered him. He wanted her to gather some pride and look up and into their eyes. He wanted her to express her anger, her annoyance, her pain and disappointment. But she just simply sat, looking down, agreeing and nodding along to everything.

"What happens, what is said and what is done outside of the families is not of any importance to me... I wish you would uphold the same." Ayyagaru spoke. His voice and tone was stern, filled with disappointment.

"That is my mistake, it was my fault, Ayyagaru. Kumud has no fault in all this." Her mother spoke, and it pricked Valli's heart.

"We live in a community Aradhana... We live in a society where people will have opinions, they think that they know best. But we are their parents. If I asked for Kumud's hand in marriage for my son, I did because I know her and I knew that she would only be blessing to us. Amma Kumud..." Ayyagaru spoke, his voice was now calmer, much more affectionate.

"Ayyagaru?" She looked up at him, her fingers twisting.

"I'm sorry amma. I have disheartened you and brought you great pain." He said.

"No please... Don't say sorry!" Valli gasped.

"It was never my intention to hurt you, Kumud. When I said I needed to rethink my decision, the decision was never pertaining to you, thalli. You are the bride I chose for my son. And that was one decision that I could close my eyes and trust you with. It was never about you ma!" He told her. She nodded, her big and beautiful eyes were filling up again.

"And I couldn't teach my son to never raise his voice at his partner... That's my shortcoming." He said. Atharva sighed, rubbing his head in his hands.

"Ayyo Ayyagaru please! Please don't say sorry!" Valli gasped, her voice cracking.

"If he shouts at me once, he loves me ten times more. Please please don't say sorry." She pressed. But she still wasn't looking at Atharva. And it was driving him slightly insane.

"Many people will say many things around us, Ayyagaru. It was our fault that we let it get to us." Her father said, speaking on behalf of his wife.

"They will, Bharath. Everyone will only speak ill about Valli with hopes that we will reconsider our decision. The only reason they don't say anything about Atharva is because he is my son, the sarpanch's son. Valli is too good for my son, Aradhana. You need to realise that. He isn't someone great, nor does he need to be put on a pedestal. People will say things, but I hope it will never be a problem again." His father said. They simply nodded.

"And I have a condition." Atharva spoke up finally.

"What is it?" Her father asked.

"We both want a small wedding. I don't want all these people at the wedding. Only family and friends is enough. I hold a lot of importance to the rituals. It is sacred. And I am not okay to have all these people who have an evil eye on Valli at the wedding. I want only people who have real love and respect towards us and you three to be there. We can cut out some family also if they're being problematic." Atharva said.

"It doesn't work like that, Atharva. I am the head of the village.... Bharat and I, both of us are at big positions in the panchayat. How can I not invite the elders of the village?" Ayyagaru said, sounding exasperated.