fourteen

Atharva took Valli to the outhouse that had been cleaned up for Sahiti to stay in when she came. Valli was embarrassed about the way she had broken down as soon as she saw him. And he felt like he needed to do something right away to fix her mood.

"Come. Let's go inside." He said, leading her to the door. He held her hand tightly, as if she would vanish if he loosened his hold on her hand. He tucked her hand under his armpit and used the keys to push the door open. She giggled, seeing what he was doing. Her eyes were still heavy with tears, but she was giggling like crazy.

"What are you laughing at you little brat?" He asked, tugging her into the house. It was a modest little room. There was an AC, a kitchen, a bed, a couch and a bathroom.

"At you." She mumbled, waking in. He made her sit on the couch and put a paper bag next to her. She peeked inside and a small smile took over her face.

There was a bouquet of chrysanthemums and orchids.

"Is this for me?" Valli gasped.

"No. For my other girlfriend." He said.

"Don't be mean to me! I just cried!" She exclaimed.

"Then? Who else will I bring flowers for?" He asked.

"There's more. Look inside." He said, sitting next to her. She smiled, pulling her legs up and turning to the side. She pulled out a few boxes.

She opened up the biggest box in the bag. It was a saree. He got her a saree. Was this going to be a new normal in her life? A little gasp left her mouth and she pulled it out. There was a paithani silk saree, he knew her taste. And that saree was the exact kind she would wear.

"I couldn't find small border sarees... This was the least colourful and loud." He said sheepishly. He had a sheepish look on his face, wondering if she would like what he had brought her or not. It was a beautifully elegant pastel green handwoven saree. It had a big border with golden threat work and peacocks in this majestic sea bluish green colour.

"Paithani sarees have big borders in general. I love it! It's so beautiful!" She gushed.

"I got this also, in case you wanted a simple one. But this was fully my selection." He mumbled, placing another box in her lap. She bit down on her lower lip and opened up the box. Her heart was racing. It was a handmade block print saree. And it was simple, had a print all over, obviously. And it was a dull dark blue and dull red floral block printed saree. She was absolutely in love.

"I love love love love it so much!" She gasped, looking at the saree with these pretty heart eyes. As if it was the most wonderful thing she had ever seen in her life.

"Beautiful! It's beautiful!" She clapped her palms together and looked at him.

"I didn't buy any jewellery... Because... Well, you wouldn't always like it." He shrugged.

"This is absolutely amazing! I love these two. I'll wear this silk saree for the ganesh puja before the wedding!" She declared.

"What? Are you sure?" He frowned.

"Yes. Of course I am! I love it so much!" Valli said.

"Thank you so much, Atharva mama!" She gushed, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing his cheek. He pushed the bags away and pulled her closer, and he did it so effortlessly. He kissed her forehead.

"Are you feeling better, bomma?" He asked, tucking her hair back. She nodded, laying her head on his chest.

"I'm sorry for breaking down like that. I felt like I held it in for so long.... I just... Couldn't take it. And the moment I saw you, I just let it all out." She mumbled, kissing his collar bone.