Chp 7: Days Gone Bye (Part 7)

While leaving where they were, Rick drives the patrol car out a paved country road past houses and fields. The Radio suddenly crackles.

"Broadcasting on Emergency Channel. Will be approaching Atlanta on highway 85. Anybody reads, please respond." Rick says talking to the emergency channel.

The Radio keeps crackling

"Hello. Hello. Can anybody hear my voice? Anybody out there? Anybody hears me, please respond. Hello, can you hear my voice?" Rick asks, trying to get someone to respond to him.

"Hello. Hello. Can anybody hear my voice?" Rose try's next, talking over the radio.

In a deserted forests area,

An older man and a woman, sitting in camp chairs by a fire turns around at the sound of

Rick's and Rose's voices on the C.B. Nearby a young woman throws down an armload of firewood and runs to it. Behind her against the sky an R.V. is parked. A man stands guard on top of it.

"Hey. Hello?" A young woman asks over the radio.

"Can you hear our voices?" Rose asks over the radio trying to get someone to respond back.

"Yes, I can hear you. You're coming through. Over." The young woman says, basically screaming over the radio.

The older man runs up. The girl looks up at him questioningly.

"If anybody reads please respond." Rick states over the radio.

Rick and Rose continued to talk over the radio, unaware that anyone has heard them.

"Broadcasting on emergency channel. Will be approaching Atlanta on Highway 85. If anybody reads, please respond." Rick said.

Radio crackles,  Back at the camp the man watches the young girl speak into the C.B. mike.

"We're just outside the city." The young girl says, the radio still crackling.

"Damn it. Hello? Hello? They couldn't hear me. I couldn't warn them." The young girl, says a bit frustrated with herself.

"Try to raise them again. Come on, son, you know best how to work this thing." The old man says.

Behind her a woman sitting with a little boy gets up and walks over to the C.B. The younger man slams an axe into the tree stump and picks up the mike.

"Hello, hello. Is the people who called still on the air? This is Officer Shane Walsh broadcasting to people unknown. Please respond." Shane said, trying to get a response. 

Radio crackles still.

The little boy stands near to the woman who looks concerned.

"He's gone." Shane says to the young girl and older man.

"There are others. It's not just us."  A woman said, with hope in her voice.

"We knew there would be, right? That's why we left the C.B. on." Shane told her.

"A lot of good it's been doing." The Woman with a smile with it.

"Okay." Shane said.

"And I've been saying for a week we ought to put signs up on 85 to warn people away from the city." The Woman tells Shane with a hint of firmness.

"Folks got no idea what they're getting into." The young woman said, unsure of what will happen to the people over the radio.

"Well, we haven't had time."  Shane told the Woman.

"I think we need to make time." The woman told him.

"Yeah that - That's a luxury we can't
afford. We are surviving here. We are day to day. " Shane said to her, kinda getting frustrated about this.

"And who the Hell would you propose we send?" The older man asked, his voice filled with bewilderment.

"I'll go. Give me a vehicle." The Woman demanded.

"Nobody goes anywhere alone. You know that." Shane tells her, giving her a stern look.

"Yes sir." The woman sarcastically said as she walks off.

The little boy starts to go with her.

"Hey hey hey. Go on, take a seat, bud. You're all right. Go on. You're all right." Shane said to the little boy, stopping him from following the woman.

The boy turns back and Shane follows the woman.

"What, are you pissed at me?" Shane questions, a bit of anger lacing in his voice.

She continues to walk away and goes into a tent. He follows behind her.

"You can be pissed at me all you want. It's not gonna change anything. I'm not putting you in danger, okay? I'm not doing it for anything. That make you feel like sometimes you want to slap me upside the head - Tell you what, girl- you feel that need, you go right ahead. I'm right here. Go on." Shane tells the Woman, egging her on to hit him.

The woman turns around, exasperated.

"You cannot walk off like that, all half- cocked. Look, you not want to do it for my sake or your sake, that's fine. You do it for him. That boy's been through too much and he's not losing his mother too, okay? Okay?" Shane tells her, trying to explain this to her.

"I'm a good mom." The woman whispers.

"You tell me "okay"." Shane said to her.

She just nods.

"Hmm? It's not hard. All right? Hey." Shane said, chuckling.

He looks out through the tent windows and
sees no one about. He steps in close to herand they kiss. He continues kissing her, more passionately.

"Mom?" A sudden squeaky voice said.

Shane quickly breaks off and walks out of the tent.

Man: "What's up, bud? She's in there. Go on." Shane urges the kid.

"Hey, I don't want you to worry. Your mama's not going anywhere, okay" The woman says, reassuring her son.

"Yeah?" The boy asks.

"Yeah" The woman confirms as the little boy nods and smiles.

"Go finish your chores." The woman told him.

"Okay." The little than left

Meanwhile with Rick and Rose, Rick pulls down his visor to look at his photo of him, his wife, and their son.

The woman is the same one as in the camp. The boy is the same, too. He takes the photo down and puts it in his
uniform pocket. 

"Was that your family?" Asked Rose. Curious about the photo.

"Yeah..." Rick respond, having a thoughtful look on his features.

Rose nodded with a small hum and left it at that. While Rick puts the car in park.

The sound of a trunk clicking. He releases the trunk and gathers his things. He tells Rose to keep an eye out for anyone. He leaves the car and walks down the highway with his ammo bag and a gas can.